the lack of vanilla episodes

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: the lack of vanilla episodes

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Some stuff that I would call really important is missing in the vanilla editor. Say, the SMB3 and SMW ice tilesets. I'd personally like to extend the "vanilla" terminology to custom graphics used in TI2.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Cedur wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 pm
Some stuff that I would call really important is missing in the vanilla editor. Say, the SMB3 and SMW ice tilesets. I'd personally like to extend the "vanilla" terminology to custom graphics used in TI2.
But thn it is not just a .lvl file, so it couldn't fall under the definition of vanilla.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Definition is up to change.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
[ads]

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

In Beta4 all of the tilesets have been completed so it'll be more reasonable to make vanilla levels that are just a .lvl file. We could also take on the mindset of the SMWC? vanilla which is slightly more lenient, but I don't think that's really necessary here

AndrewPixel
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Italian that likes time travel
Current Project: ???
Chat Username: AndrewPixel#2486

Postby AndrewPixel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Vanilla levels have some kind of particular charme, they feel pure and send back to the SMBX "primordial" ages, and well people can have this nostalgic feeling, but let's be realistic, custom assets are SMBX's force and not taking advantage of this power can be counterproducing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Switch Friend Code: SW-2755-4824-8495
[PGE Italian Translator] [I make logos for your episodes, ask me via Discord or PM]

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:43 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm
In Beta4 all of the tilesets have been completed so it'll be more reasonable to make vanilla levels that are just a .lvl file. We could also take on the mindset of the SMWC? vanilla which is slightly more lenient, but I don't think that's really necessary here

that's cool to hear

[ads]

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm

AndrewPixel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
Vanilla levels have some kind of particular charme, they feel pure and send back to the SMBX "primordial" ages, and well people can have this nostalgic feeling, but let's be realistic, custom assets are SMBX's force and not taking advantage of this power can be counterproducing.
I agree, what if you want to make a game in smbx that is not related to Mario or what you want to do just can't simply by achieved in the vanilla way.
I like smbx because it lets me use my creativity in a lot of ways and smbx didn't have the possibilities to have custom graphics, custom music or even scripts then it would really be a limited engine.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Bit
Bit
Chat Username: TheTrueMarioMaster

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm

AndrewPixel wrote:
But if the vanilla contest took place in SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 it will have a lot of vanilla base game features that those not on the dev team have never experienced before so even limited to no custom graphic/music and no scripts the contest would still include a lot of new content in it.
Eri7 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm
I agree, what if you want to make a game in smbx that is not related to Mario or what you want to do just can't simply by achieved in the vanilla way.
I like smbx because it lets me use my creativity in a lot of ways and smbx didn't have the possibilities to have custom graphics, custom music or even scripts then it would really be a limited engine.
Back in the day SMBX only had custom graphics and custom music with some edibility with the npcs properties but once you've seen everything it kind of gets predictable for what you will encounter based on the enemies movements but with some exceptions (there is a level in MAGLX that somehow managed to make some custom enemies which name I forget). Although now with scripting you can make a ton of unpredictable things in Lunalua.
Other places to find me at.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Postby Uzendayo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:11 pm

there are a lot of vanilla smbx episodes. there arent a lot of good smbx episodes
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:33 pm

TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm
AndrewPixel wrote:
But if the vanilla contest took place in SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 it will have a lot of vanilla base game features that those not on the dev team have never experienced before so even limited to no custom graphic/music and no scripts the contest would still include a lot of new content in it.
True but you don't use every feature in every level. Even if you were just to choose one new NPC to base a level around with a familiar mechanic you've done in Beta3 or even 1.3 you've effectively used Beta4. You'd also have like a month to figure things out

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:56 am

Uzendayo wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:11 pm
there are a lot of vanilla smbx episodes. there arent a lot of good smbx episodes
Sadly that's true but i predict that soon, the amount of good smbx episodes will increase.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Bit
Bit
Chat Username: TheTrueMarioMaster

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:32 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:33 pm
TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm
AndrewPixel wrote:
True but you don't use every feature in every level. Even if you were just to choose one new NPC to base a level around with a familiar mechanic you've done in Beta3 or even 1.3 you've effectively used Beta4. You'd also have like a month to figure things out
Yes I wouldn't expect a person to use every single new Beta 4 feature (if someone did than it would either be very impressive or a big jumbled mess) but given how many new blocks, npcs, and other such things will be added in Beta 4 I am sure someone is going to use at least one if not many of the new blocks or npcs unless they are a 1.3.0.1 purist.
Other places to find me at.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Postby Uzendayo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:15 am

PixelPest wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm
the reason why you can be a little leniant with SMW vanilla levels is because the palette and tiles of a level is inheirently linked to the ROM. in smbx, you cant change the global palette of certain blocks because each single block is its own image.

And even then its a stretch to call what SMWC considers vanilla to be actually vanilla, considering some of the entries from VLDC9.
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Nothing atm
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 am

I got a suggestion to your concern about the lack of Vanilla episodes and levels:

How about some of us makes some of our custom levels made with vanilla gfx? Maybe that'll make knux happy

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 am
I got a suggestion to your concern about the lack of Vanilla episodes and levels:

How about some of us makes some of our custom levels made with vanilla gfx? Maybe that'll make knux happy
Looks like it is time to prepare for the next rise of SMB3 levels then.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Nothing atm
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:18 am

Electriking wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 am
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 am

Looks like it is time to prepare for the next rise of SMB3 levels then.
Who say I'm gonna make SMB3 custom levels?

Return to “General”