Just something that I felt like Posting

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Sanity is overrated.
Current Project: Project Subcon (Hiatus)

Just something that I felt like Posting

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am

While I'm working on any project, Sometimes my mind has bursts of imagination and creativity that manifest themselves as completely different projects that might never come to fruition. The reason I tell you that is because, while I may be focusing on making Project Subcon just a project I can realistically finish, I keep getting ideas for a project more ambitious than I think I could ever do justice to. I feel that Idea is, despite being ambitious, worthy of atleast being archived as having existed, before it gets lost in my forgetful ways.

The Idea is that At some point I could, using lunalua scripts and Teascript in some way create a more story-driven Episode for Super Mario Bros X 38-A, that could act as a sort of hybrid between the structure of 2D Mario games, and the story of 3D Mario games (I.E. The Galaxy Games or Odyssey.) It would be a game that could, while being a Mario Fan-Game at the core, be its own thing, hold its own identity. A creation that could be seen as a full fan-game made within another fangame perhaps. With each world feeling like one unique from the last, as its own ecosystem designed to both thrive on its own, but also be tangible to the likes of the Mario Universe.

There is no real artwork/spritework or anything ive made to put my idea into pictures, but I hope these words would suffice to explain it at all.
While I may have the ambition to dream of such a fan game, I believe that I may never, despite all attempts I might make, have the ability to bring a project Like this to reality. I post it here because this may never be a project, nor would it be discussing some other project, it is just an off topic idea I had that I felt people would like to know, because even if I can never make it, maybe someone else with more ideas and skills than I have could do it.
Projects I'm involved in:
Spoiler: show
Currently the Head of (and only member involved with) development of
(Don't get your hopes up)
Thing's I'm supporting/excited for:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Just something that I felt like Posting

Postby Enjl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Kitti and Minni wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am
At some point I could, using lunalua scripts and Teascript in some way create a more story-driven Episode for Super Mario Bros X 38-A,
(you cannot use lunalua in any capacity when working with the SMBX38A engine, just letting you know)
The ABC of Creation

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Sanity is overrated.
Current Project: Project Subcon (Hiatus)

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm
Kitti and Minni wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am
At some point I could, using lunalua scripts and Teascript in some way create a more story-driven Episode for Super Mario Bros X 38-A,
(you cannot use lunalua in any capacity when working with the SMBX38A engine, just letting you know)
oh. well i did not know that
Projects I'm involved in:
Currently the Head of (and only member involved with) development of
(Don't get your hopes up)
Thing's I'm supporting/excited for:

Inspirited
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Inspirited » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm

It's easy to start new projects, but hard to finish any. I can relate with your problem.
Check out my levels!

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Hey, did i just encounter me but from the past?!
Alright i will give you few advices so you won't end up like me, don't start 17 projects with one big story featuring multiple big stories, that's no no.
If you are gonna do something story based, you need to have knowledge and experience on how to tell a good story or... you can get friends to help you out, thats what i am doing.
Sprite work will be really hard if you want to do something original and you have no knowledge, remember, start from 0 and slowly climb your way, don't be afraid to spend hours on your creations, even if they fail, you will gain some experience, also ask people for criticism when needed and ask them about how to shade stuff and for reference on certain animations.
Now scripting, its the same as spriting but much harder to start with however its easier to learn with time.
If you can't start on it alone, ask people to sit down with you and spend their time explaining you how everything works and whenever you have questions, don't be afraid to ask them but be prepared to spend really long time on discussions so you can understand how scripting works and how to learn it.
And last and most important, don't make your project around 250 levels long, especially if you are trying to be more ambitious than triple A games.
The more ambitious your gameplay and story becomes, the harder it will be to keep consistent quality and have motivation to make more levels.
Also when you get big enough with your project, start slowly to get a dev team or just a group of friends who can be there most of the time to help you out or react on your progress so you can know if you are going into the right direction.
Anyways me from the past, i hope you are going to do a way better job and not waste 2 years like me from the future and remember, burnout is a thing and with such an ambitious concept, you will probably experience it more than 1 time.

Return to “General”