Super Mario Enigmatic 2 ReNovated

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Super Mario Enigmatic 2 ReNovated (Open beta, download available)

Postby TheNewGuy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:24 am

Reign wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 am
ping
just discovered an "unbeatable" screen, or maybe I'm missing something. either way, I managed to beat it using clipping, which probably isn't the intended way of doing it: (hopefully this merges with my last post)
edit: hopefully someone from the staff merges this post with the other one. either way, I managed to break another level:
I support:
Spoiler: show

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks. The lava level shortcut will be fixed. I'll also see what I can do about the clipping.

The cloud level is not unbeatable.
Not every cloud needs to be on the same level. It's enough that no cloud is alone. The first two clouds should be one on the ground and one on top of it. The final cloud will then be on the same level as the upper one if it's put on top of the mushroom block.
Episodes released:

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie

Postby TheNewGuy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:26 pm

thanks. now I get what you mean. the last key clip can be fixed by raising the exit door.
Reign wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:16 pm
yet another exploit discovered.
also, a funny little solution I thought I should include: edit: this should hopefully be the last exploit I'll post here: if you reset and then the timer runs out, the death animation will play twice.
major bug:
during the bowser fight, link can stab the note block, which will get pushed off, making the fight unbeatable.
two minor bugs:
final bowser battle: 2nd phase left and right arrow blocks are still present in the last phase. first set of text in the ending/credits is slightly cut off (the word "to")
also, how do I exit "the end" screen? do I just quit the game? I appear to be stuck on it.
PS: here's one solution to the last (?) screen: definitely one of the greatest episodes of all time, I'm putting it on my 10/10 list. this was a breath of fresh air after a long time,your work never ceases to amaze me. :)
I support:

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks a lot for the comments and the review. I'll try to make adjustments next week. In some cases it's ok to have more than one solution for a single level.
Episodes released:

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Hey I'm playing it and here are some issues I found:
A layer seems to be hiding and showing near where Luigi is. Overlooked detail, maybe?
Screen wrap death.
This cheese must skip a BIG part of the puzzle. I didn't even need the blue switch!
The key doesn't touch the spring but rather stops in midair. Woops?
REEEEALLY minor issue. I believe there should be a space between the full stop and the word "What". I know, it's a really dumb thing to notice.
So far I've encountered just these. I'll keep playing and see what I can find!

EDIT: Found another one I think
I really don't think this is how you solve this puzzle, but I only found this way :p (btw that Toad kinda clips into the ground if he turns right)
EDIT 2: Completed it.
Findings:
most of the issues now are just cutoff
Image (below the gray door)
Image (on the right side of the left sizable)
Image (for a split second, you can see the lack of blocks in the moving layer)
Image (whatever happens T them)

Aside from those, I don't think I actually found any more glaring issues (other than the bowser-novastream sprite looking hideous (I guess that was the intent?) and lots of cutoff in 1 tile parts (which can be seen in the 4th spoiler's screen, for example.)). This episode is very very amazing, all the puzzles (especially the final ones) are really elaborate and really satisfy you when you find a solution. And the story is just outstanding, I almost forgot I was playing SMBX, and thought I was playing an RPG or reading a book! This is actually the very first time I feel bad for a character leaving in a SMBX episode (includes Mario Prime and LFFTMK (smol text to avoid unwanted spoilers)), it was very very very very good. Amazing experience.

i never performed a shelljump and it's sad I did a grand total of 4 shelljumps in my life!

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 am

Thanks a lot for your bug reports and the review, 8lue Storm. Some of those were already fixed or reported by TheNewGuy, many of them were new.

Currently, in addition to fixing the remaining bugs, I'm battling to get this episode to work with SMBX2 PAL so that a bigger audience who no longer have beta 3 installed can play the finished episode. Some outdated lua functions are causing a headache.

Then, after a break of some months, I can focus on a new episode again. :D
Episodes released:

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie

Postby TheNewGuy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am

8lue Storm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 pm
I beat that screen from your first edit by dropping the bomb on the spikes, and then using it as a platform to reach the blue switch.
I support:

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:02 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am
8lue Storm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 pm
I beat that screen from your first edit by dropping the bomb on the spikes, and then using it as a platform to reach the blue switch.
This is the intended way.
Episodes released:

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:05 pm

oh i forgot to include these on the second edit oof
Mario seems to be afraid of Link

i never performed a shelljump and it's sad I did a grand total of 4 shelljumps in my life!

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Download for the beta removed. Final version (for SMBX2 PAL) expected to launch this weekend.
Episodes released:

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Super Mario Enigmatic 2 ReNovated

Postby Reign » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Posting the main thread in Episodes. Since this thread includes a lot of discussion about the old version, it can be locked.
Episodes released:

Return to “Projects”