Chilly's NPC Pack!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Chilly14
Spiny
Spiny

Chilly's NPC Pack!

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Didn't see this coming? I decided to make this out of boredom again.

NPCS:
Spoiler: show
Mad Thwimp - Mad Thwomp's baby brother. It jumps left and right like a regular Thwimp, but it is faster between jumps.
Thwimp That Doesn't Turn Back or Something IDK - Almost exactly like a normal Thwimp, except that it jumps forward in the direction it is facing nonstop until it hits a wall, then resumes in the opposite direction. It also has a Mad variant.
Jade Bowser Statue - A Bowser Statue variant that performs huge leaps towards the player.
Sapphire Bowser Statue - A Bowser Statue variant that performs short hops, but won't chase the player.
Amethyst Bowser Statue - A Bowser Statue variant that performs long jumps, but won't chase the player.
Amber Bowser Statue - A Bowser Statue variant that leaves flames behind as it jumps and won't chase the player.
Obsidian Bowser Statue - A Bowser Statue variant that stays still and shoots bouncing fireballs.
Supreme Bouncin' Chuck - A Chuck that rapidly leaps towards the player when they get close.
Supreme Puntin' Chuck - A Chuck that rapidly kicks footballs in the direction it's facing.
Recursion Chuck - A Chuck that...splits into 3 other Chucks which each split into 3 extra Chucks.
Bronze Bowser Statue - A large Bowser Statue variant that stays still and spits out a Goomba every few seconds.
Emerald Bowser Statue - A Bowser Statue variant that hops away from the player while leaving behind COINS!!! Ain't that great?
Bacura - A strange rotating board from Xevious or whatever that comes down from the top, phasing through blocks as it goes. (Apologies for the weird-looking sprite in the editor, but I don't know how to fix it.)
Red Bacura - A variant of the Bacura that moves faster.
Super Magikoopa - A Magikoopa variant that teleports around faster.
Fiery Thwimp - Another Thwimp variant that when it lands, it creates fire around itself.
Triple Stompin' Sumo Bro - A Sumo Bro that sends down three lightning bolts in succession.
Rapid Stompin' Sumo Bro - A Sumo Bro that sends down six lightning bolts in quick succession.
Red Sea Mine - A more dangerous variant of the Sea Mine.
Soaring Spark - It's not a bird, nor a plane - it's a soaring variant of the Spark.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DOWNLOAD:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/nfx0jzgj ... ck.7z/file
Use 7-Zip or WinRAR to extract the files.
CHANGELOG:
1.073 - FINALLY added the Super Magikoopa's proper effect (it used to be a normal Magikoopa). Also, updated the tileset.
1.072 - Modified the Bacura's code a bit.
1.071 - Fixed the Bacura error spam.
1.07 - Added the Red Sea Mine and Soaring Spark.
1.06 - Added the Red Bacura, Super Magikoopa, Fiery Thwimp, Triple Stompin' and Rapid Stompin' Sumo Bros.
1.05 - Added the Emerald Bowser Statue and Bacura.
1.04 - Added the Recursion Chuck and Bronze Bowser Statue; added a description for the Amber Bowser Statue.
1.03 - Added the Supreme Bouncin' and Puntin' Chucks.
1.02 - Added the Obsidian Bowser Statue and a tileset.
1.01 - Added the Sapphire, Amethyst, and Amber Bowser Statues.
Credit me and the adapted NPC authors shown in Credits.xls if you use this in my pack.
Speaking of those authors, credit to them for the coding used for this pack. Oh, and credit to Enji for the Targeting Fishbone script file as well as part of the Plonker script file - I modified the former so that it acted like a Bacura NPC.
Last edited by Chilly14 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 25 times in total.
For the love of god, please use an adblocker when using MediaFire to download my stuff.

cursed mario

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Chilly's NPC Pack!

Postby Enjl » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 pm

I should add a notice for crediting packs that are adaptations of basegame elements somewhere. Half the code in this pack is by pyro and me, just due to the nature of the pack. If someone is looking to use this pack in their levels: I recommend crediting both the author of the pack and, if you go into Credits.xls, the authors of the npcs that have been adapted.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

TheTrueMarioMaster
Bit
Bit
Chat Username: TheTrueMarioMaster

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 pm

I've been trying to get a bowser statue that follows you and breaths fire at the same time but unfortunately whenever I attempt it would either hop in place shooting fireballs or hop after the player like a golden bowser statue but not shoot any fireballs. Don't know why the code won't allow for both to work, wonder if you are also having that problem?
Other places to find me at.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

Chilly14
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm

TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 pm
I've been trying to get a bowser statue that follows you and breaths fire at the same time but unfortunately whenever I attempt it would either hop in place shooting fireballs or hop after the player like a golden bowser statue but not shoot any fireballs. Don't know why the code won't allow for both to work, wonder if you are also having that problem?
I've had a different problem - the code doesn't work at all and enemies stop working properly. Also, I'm not sure if here is the right place to say this.
For the love of god, please use an adblocker when using MediaFire to download my stuff.

cursed mario

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff
Current Project: Sam Lev Boss Rush 5

Postby sammerbro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm

7-zip files can be opened with WinRAR.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Bit
Bit
Chat Username: TheTrueMarioMaster

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Chilly14 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm
I've had a different problem - the code doesn't work at all and enemies stop working properly. Also, I'm not sure if here is the right place to say this.
That's alright. Notice that most of the custom bowser statues you have made don't follow the player. Don't know if that is by design choice or not.
Other places to find me at.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

Chilly14
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:22 pm
Chilly14 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm
That's alright. Notice that most of the custom bowser statues you have made don't follow the player. Don't know if that is by design choice or not.
Design choices.

cursed mario

Chilly14
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Chilly14 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:28 pm

WOOHOO LINK UPDATED

cursed mario

Wiimeiser
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Bacuras are completely broken and spam errors every frame when one is placed anywhere in a level. The error is a completely generic error, so there's no indication of what's wrong whatsoever. In other words, they're completely unusable in their default state. They don't cause any errors if I delete the npcManager.setNpcSettings(config), but in this case they don't move. Deleting just the npcManager.registerEvent(npcID, smwfuzzy, "onDrawNPC") line works but I'm not sure what kind of damage removing it would cause.

Killing a Chuck spawned by a Splittin' Chuck spawned from a Recursion Chuck crashes LunaLua with an invalid NPC pointer error, also causing error spam. This seems to be inconsistent, however.

Super Magikoopa dies with the regular Magikoopa's effect. Its magic also seems to despawn before it reaches the player.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 pm
Deleting just the npcManager.registerEvent(npcID, smwfuzzy, "onDrawNPC") line works but I'm not sure what kind of damage removing it would cause.
That's the fix. If you look at the NPC-765.lua file, you will notice that there actually is no onDrawNPC function in the file. The code registers a nonexistent function and panics.
ImageImageImageImage

Wiimeiser
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Okay, that makes perfect sense, then. And does onDrawNPC even exist? I couldn't find it in the Handbook or on the Wiki, unless I'm missing something and it's a compound string or something...

Chilly14
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Chilly14 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 pm
Bacuras are completely broken and spam errors every frame when one is placed anywhere in a level. The error is a completely generic error, so there's no indication of what's wrong whatsoever. In other words, they're completely unusable in their default state. They don't cause any errors if I delete the npcManager.setNpcSettings(config), but in this case they don't move. Deleting just the npcManager.registerEvent(npcID, smwfuzzy, "onDrawNPC") line works but I'm not sure what kind of damage removing it would cause.

Killing a Chuck spawned by a Splittin' Chuck spawned from a Recursion Chuck crashes LunaLua with an invalid NPC pointer error, also causing error spam. This seems to be inconsistent, however.

Super Magikoopa dies with the regular Magikoopa's effect. Its magic also seems to despawn before it reaches the player.
Fixed the first problem, but as I can't make a custom effect, the Super Magikoopa visual problem will sadly stay for now.

cursed mario

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:55 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Okay, that makes perfect sense, then. And does onDrawNPC even exist? I couldn't find it in the Handbook or on the Wiki, unless I'm missing something and it's a compound string or something...
npcManager provides "on... NPC" versions for pretty much any method. The difference to the regular methods is that the onTickNPC method and its siblings pass an npc reference that's already wrapped in pnpc and filtered for the IDs you registered the event for in onInitAPI. You'll find countless uses of onStartNPC, onTickNPC, onTickEndNPC and onDrawNPC in scripts/npcs/ai
ImageImageImageImage

Chilly14
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Chilly14 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Download link updated once more!

cursed mario

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:09 pm

I like the simplicity of these. I can see them being used for interesting scenarios, like the fireball statue placed at the top of some stairs.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Return to “LunaLua”