The Odd Star House

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
NyanMC
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Why isnt a reddit link option on the control panel
Current Project: SMBX 2.0 Episode; more revealed later
Chat Username: NyanMC

The Odd Star House

Postby NyanMC » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:08 pm

So, this time i was uncreative with names. I ran out of ideas, ok?
Basically, the episode contains:
Spoiler: show
21 stars
Many levels (and they're all poorly detailed because i'm trash at level decoration, but some have a theme)
A level info.txt file that assists in helping you get all 21 stars (or tries to)
2 sections of the game:

The first section is world 1
The second section is worlds 2-4 as they're all short

An anti-any% door
Levels that unlock other levels
Maybe one or two secrets?
Custom textures
A fully functional hub
One tricky jump that may keep you trapped in world 3 for a while
Forward-ports of three of my 38A levels (because I finally discovered how to do it)
Occasional gimmicks in certain levels
Absolutely no ways to die in the hubworld without cheats
Stars that mark progression
Bossfights ft. Original Character Do Not Steal
Unused stuff
And much more.

And here's the mandatory images you crave so much:
Spoiler: show
Don't use multiplayer, it breaks stuff, and I can't recall if some levels even have a player 2 spawnpoint.

Yell at me if the episode is broken or if I did something wrong and I'll patch it (but i tested each level and each of them seemed to work)
patch 1 and 2: show
i'm actually an idiot, you cannot progress past the first boss as it sends you to the hub instead of sending you to the fifth hub star to call the event "prog5" so you can advance. go back to the downloads section and install the patch and then drop the files inside the patch into the episode folder.

edit: i'm a mega idiot, as the same glitch also happens in boss 2. time for a patch 2.
Download: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing (right click TOSHv1.2.zip and select download, or if you have the original version download the patch)
Last edited by NyanMC on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in dead memes as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

liahim
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Re: The Odd Star House

Postby liahim » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am

Hello, CH do not understand how to go further after the second red gate,I give 4/9 stars.Is there another 5 stars somewhere?

NyanMC
Swooper
Swooper

Postby NyanMC » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:10 am

liahim wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am
Hello, CH do not understand how to go further after the second red gate,I give 4/9 stars.Is there another 5 stars somewhere?
Can you send a screenshot of where you're stuck?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in dead memes as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 am

You got here. That's great. What's your reward? 5 coins and disappointment.

That makes you really popular.

Also the tiles in the bottom-last screen look cut-offy, and otherwise it doesn't seem like you tried to make your levels more aesthetically pleasing than in your previous episodes.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

NyanMC
Swooper
Swooper

Postby NyanMC » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:57 am

Cedur wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 am
Also the tiles in the bottom-last screen look cut-offy,
This section was a both vertical and horizontal moving section, so I couldn't capture a full image, I captured an image mid-jump just to give a hint to where a tricky jump was.
Cedur wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 am
and otherwise it doesn't seem like you tried to make your levels more aesthetically pleasing than in your previous episodes.
I didn't want to spend a long time making custom textures for each level (it took about half an hour just for the minecraft themed level, and that was just making textures smbx compatible). Whenever I tried, they would always break (i didn't realize they had to be in gif format until i was almost done), and not having an in-editor block / background editor (there's an npc editor, why not a background editor?) really didn't help. Plus, it still wouldn't help me at all, since (using one of the first levels in the episode as an example) rotating background 1 isn't necessarily "aesthetically pleasing".

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am

You don't need to make graphics of your own or rip them from external resources all the time. There are plenty of graphics packs out there, just credit the authors if you use them, or just copy the graphics from some other level and mention that. If this is what used to kept you away from cgfx then I hope I can sort this out
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Wiimeiser
Bit
Bit
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Okay, I'm going to assume this is not a SMBX2-compatible episode based on the fact that it's physically impossible to get more than two stars. I'm not even joking, by the way, both of the mandatory jumps in the first two levels are physically impossible. The first one is impossible without a leaf or mount, and for the second I either undershoot the ledge, or overshoot it and unavoidably hit Birdo. Also, where are the powerups?

EDIT: Okay, either I am horrible at sidescrollers (on the level of where I'd get a game over on the first level of Donkey Kong Country Returns) or this episode is either kaizo or broken. I'm leaning towards the latter, because reasons. (The big one being that the jumps in the first levels are clearly based around completely different physics from the physics in SMBX2 and a sign popping up when I got the first star)

NyanMC
Swooper
Swooper

Postby NyanMC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm
Okay, I'm going to assume this is not a SMBX2-compatible episode based on the fact that it's physically impossible to get more than two stars. I'm not even joking, by the way, both of the mandatory jumps in the first two levels are physically impossible. The first one is impossible without a leaf or mount, and for the second I either undershoot the ledge, or overshoot it and unavoidably hit Birdo. Also, where are the powerups?

EDIT: Okay, either I am horrible at sidescrollers (on the level of where I'd get a game over on the first level of Donkey Kong Country Returns) or this episode is either kaizo or broken. I'm leaning towards the latter, because reasons. (The big one being that the jumps in the first levels are clearly based around completely different physics from the physics in SMBX2 and a sign popping up when I got the first star)
i tested these levels, the jumps are just difficult.
first, the jump in the first stage requires you to jump on the bullet bill to get the bonus star.
second, the birdo jump. the birdo jump is really difficult but possible (and i believe you can also pass it by killing the birdo as it triggers an event, but i may be wrong)

edit:

(https://youtu.be/4BgLELnsk68 if the preview doesn't load)
This is the bonus star in the first level. Where the video ends is where the star would be if I hadn't already collected it (it's a 100% save).

(https://youtu.be/KkEshucjP2k if the preview doesn't load)
This is the birdo egg jump you were talking about in the second stage. It's just a difficult jump. The part afterwards just requires good timing.

Both of these videos were recorded in the SMBX2 beta 3 version, make sure you're using that and not a different SMBX2 version.

Also, the sign in the intro is an issue by me, I forgot that a certain layer toggles on when you pick up the first star, I noticed this when re-testing the hub in a new save for glitches and I don't feel like re-uploading the entire episode as a new version just for that small visual bug

NyanMC
Swooper
Swooper

Postby NyanMC » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 pm

NyanMC wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:10 am
liahim wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am
Can you send a screenshot of where you're stuck?
after someone else from a different source also discovered this issue, i now realize that i'm an idiot. download patch 1 from the download link and insert it into the episode folder to fix this.

stageleft
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Cinnamon & Sugar

Postby stageleft » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 pm

So this episode is pretty interesting and gimiky. However trying to keep all the files straight on installation was confusing as hell! Also the first game slot has a 100% save file included.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I find when putting up a patch it might be best just to rezip your entire episode with the patch in it. So people can just redownload the episode it and copy paste it into their worlds folder.
You have some pretty crazy music in it, which is a good thing. Did you make any of them?

NyanMC
Swooper
Swooper

Postby NyanMC » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:13 pm

stageleft wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 pm
...trying to keep all the files straight on installation was confusing as hell!
yeah, it was annoying on my end too
stageleft wrote:
Also the first game slot has a 100% save file included.
i honestly don't feel like reuploading the entire episode for a fourth time just to remove that save file. if you don't like it, just use the save file manager on the smbx2 launcher to remove it.
stageleft wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I find when putting up a patch it might be best just to rezip your entire episode with the patch in it. So people can just redownload the episode it and copy paste it into their worlds folder.
TOSHv1.2.zip has both patch 1 and 2 preinstalled with it, for new installs, but you're right, i should make that more clear. i should also probably remove the old versions.
stageleft wrote:
You have some pretty crazy music in it, which is a good thing. Did you make any of them?
no, most of the music is used in the game "Just Shapes & Beats" but there are some others from different games. if you look in the game folder and locate level info.txt, it should tell you where the songs came from

Return to “Episodes”