New to the forum. Would like to do a collaborative episode

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
SDA - SMBX
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: S.M.B.X.
Chat Username: S.D.A.

Re: New to the forum. Would like to do a collaborative episode

Postby SDA - SMBX » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am

.................... sorry. Recently I don't feel really good, due to all the things I have to do.
Just returned from an interrogation on literature.
Super Mario Bros. X is probably one of the most cool fangames ever made on history. I cannot tell the same for Super Mario Bros. X2 though.

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:42 pm

SDA - SMBX wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am
.................... sorry. Recently I don't feel really good, due to all the things I have to do.
Just returned from an interrogation on literature.
That's still not a good reason for your out burst on here. If you want to do a collab you need to act more mature and willing to accept that it won't be easy. I also recommend a a post in the projects section so people can see progress is being made. I'm not saying this to be rude. This is just friendly advice.

People need to know your serious about this project and need more than just this thread.

Here is some things to think about. I have a project I am planning. It is based off my trips across America, my experiences with beutifull places and my big imagination and love for this game. I am waiting for the official beta 4 full release before I start on it.

However I have over 300 levels planned. I used real places for level names and to help with ideas. It will also help me with my world map which I will complete before I even get serious on the levels.

This will be a big project and I work 6 days a week so to prevent burn out I plan to take my time, not post anything until it's almost done to have less pressure on me and spend years working on it if I have to so I can have higher quality levels.

In order to keep it more organized I actually did all of my planning already. I have every world planned out already. Every level already has a name. For example the Wisconsin Dell's is the water park capitol of the world. Having been there I can come up with lots of ideas for my biggest water world. I even have a waterfall world inspired by the beutifull 7 falls in Colorado. Using Google maps helps me come up with my world's and level names. From there I just pick the levels I have ideas for instead of starting at world 1 like everyone else. I also have 2 alternate routes for 2 different adventures.

This planning is needed to make sure when it comes time to make levels I already have an idea of what I am doing. A Google spread sheet helps A lot for this and is free. Just randomly creating levels with no overall theme leads to confusion, lack of interest and a poorer project experience.

You need to decide how serious you are about this project, how much time you want to devote to it and let everyone know so they know if the project will continue because you already have some members interested and it's not fair to them to lead them on with a project if you have lost interest in it or just don't have the time to do it.

I'm a perfectionist and I don't like to many rompy levels. I also will admit I suck with the smbx level editor. So I plan to spend days or months on every level to try and make them perfect. I am also very busy working and spending time with my family. Even if it takes me 10 years to complete my project I will be happy knowing I worked hard on it.

Projects take a lot of patience, time and dedication so don't feel like you have to rush or have progress ever single week or month just as long as you don't give up on it if your serious about this collab.

Story lines are nice to have but in my opinion not needed as much as a good episode itself. Focus on having a theme or idea and then go from there. People need to see something to go off of for their levels unless you want mario maker themed random levels which is ok.

This is just friendly advice but if you do this right your collab will be a lot more enjoyable. You can make a great collab and if it's to much work ask the other people involved if they will be willing to help create a theme or project idea to go off of.

I hope that helps. As enjl will tell you burn out is a real thing that kills many projects so find ways to make it more enjoyable or if you have to focus on a smaller project or take a break.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

SDA - SMBX
Blooper
Blooper

Re: New to the forum. Would like to do a collaborative episode (not anymore)

Postby SDA - SMBX » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Well I don't want to collab anymore, I will do everything by myself. Now I am really done. REALLY.
Super Mario Bros. X is probably one of the most cool fangames ever made on history. I cannot tell the same for Super Mario Bros. X2 though.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:49 am

SDA - SMBX wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm
Well I don't want to collab anymore, I will do everything by myself. Now I am really done. REALLY.

Well, ok. I'll be looking forward to you presenting your project eventually.
Teemster2 wrote:

this is mind-breaking, I wish you all luck

while being an employee (and family father?) you have the unswerving faith of pulling off the largest episode in history, and the concept is so specific that it seems like other people could polish your levels at best

well, I'll be up for it

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

SDA - SMBX
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SDA - SMBX » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:05 am

At least is there a way to make a level with moon physics? It would be cool with the jump higher as you hold the button.

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Cedur wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:49 am
SDA - SMBX wrote:

Teemster2 wrote:

while being an employee (and family father?) you have the unswerving faith of pulling off the largest episode in history, and the concept is so specific that it seems like other people could polish your levels at best

well, I'll be up for it
Someone posted an old project a year or two ago in parts that actually had 500 levels all smb1 styled. It's not impossible.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm
Cedur wrote:
SDA - SMBX wrote:

Teemster2 wrote:

well, I'll be up for it
Someone posted an old project a year or two ago in parts that actually had 500 levels all smb1 styled. It's not impossible.
But did they have high quality, or was it just a large number of short levels?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

SDA - SMBX
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SDA - SMBX » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Did anyone ever notice my previous post?

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:09 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm
Cedur wrote:

well, I'll be up for it
But did they have high quality, or was it just a large number of short levels?
I did not play them all but they looked like descent levels. It was a thread about super long episodes.

Added in 1 minute 53 seconds:
SDA - SMBX wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:26 pm
Did anyone ever notice my previous post?
Yes but I can't help you with that. I'm sorry if I discouraged you in any way. I honestly did not want you to give up on your collab.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Been working on an episode with less than 50 levels for almost 3 years now so lol @ 500 levels
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Postby Daring Tombstone » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 pm

SDA - SMBX wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:05 am
At least is there a way to make a level with moon physics? It would be cool with the jump higher as you hold the button.
With some lua scripting yes it's very possible. I did it in my episode. Although lua is beta 3 and above. If you're using 1.3 that's a no go for moon physics.
Happy Dance
Check out my completed episode
Check out my halloween level

SDA - SMBX
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SDA - SMBX » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 am

Daring Tombstone wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 pm
SDA - SMBX wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:05 am
With some lua scripting yes it's very possible. I did it in my episode. Although lua is beta 3 and above. If you're using 1.3 that's a no go for moon physics.
I use 1.3.0.1. so I decided to not put in that level.

Added in 2 minutes 14 seconds:
And no, if you think I'm ever gonna move on SMBX2 I will never do that. I hate SMBX2.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 pm

SDA - SMBX wrote:And no, if you think I'm ever gonna move on SMBX2 I will never do that. I hate SMBX2.

well so my offer was obsolete and void all along anyway.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
[ads]

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:40 pm

SDA - SMBX wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:10 am
And no, if you think I'm ever gonna move on SMBX2 I will never do that. I hate SMBX2.
With more constructive feedback we could work on improving that. :3
ImageImageImageImage

Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Postby Daring Tombstone » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:32 pm

I hated smbx2 at first as well but after using it and getting used to it I hated smbx 1.3 afterwards. But if you choose to use 1.3 in today's age you're just crippling yourself in design options. The newest version has much more vanilla options available without the need of including a custom anything.

But I guess if you're enjoying what you're creating now then more power to you. I don't see what the fear in 2.0 is all about.
Happy Dance
Check out my completed episode
Check out my halloween level

SDA - SMBX
Blooper
Blooper

Postby SDA - SMBX » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:54 am

I said I hate SMBX2 and all. Don't try forcing me to move on that game engine or I will definitely ban myself from the forum.

Added in 7 minutes 54 seconds:
I don't see what the fear in 2.0 is all about.
One of the things in SMBX2 that pisses me out is that after the loading screen instead of a 1 player/2 players/battle/options menu I get into a level survivor challenge. EVEN BEFORE I COULD CONFIGURE KEYBOARD AND JOYSTICK CONTROLS! How could this be... ?

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:27 am

Wow, now you're just being some ragekid.

We're not trying to force you into X2. You expressed your hate against X2, without giving any reason first, and now you're extending it in your signature. Now you've given one ... but it's still quite a bad one. Don't you know that Esc is Pause in the default controls? Then you could go back to the main menu and still change your controls

[ads]

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:45 am

As for 1/2 player and controls.. that stuff is accessible from the launcher directly. Just like episode save slots. Though if the launcher-based controller config doesn't work for you, Cedur's method is also valid. That's the backup.
Other episodes can be selected and loaded into directly from the launcher, using the "select episode" button in the bottom left corner. (Note: you won't see the trophy button in the PAL version, since the achievement system launcher integration wasn't finished=
As for battle mode... Currently missing as we're sorting out issues we're having with multiplayer. The mode will return as a selectable option on the launcher in the future. I have some plans for that mode... (best-of-n matches options, time/stock mode, filtered level randomizer...)
ImageImageImageImage

SDA - SMBX
Blooper
Blooper

Re: New to the forum. My episode is officially cancelled

Postby SDA - SMBX » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:51 pm

You know what? SCREW YOU ALL. I see everyone wants me to use the latest version of the game. So I'll have to do that one day, whatever I want it or not.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Re: New to the forum. My episode is officially cancelled

Postby Electriking » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:34 pm

SDA - SMBX wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:51 pm
You know what? SCREW YOU ALL.
Please don't make toxic posts like this. No one is forcing you to upgrade to SMBX2, but when you state that you dislike a version without giving reasons, then you should expect to be questioned. Do bear in mind though that by sticking to 1.3, that you are using an increasingly inferior and outdated version of the game, and expecting people to ensure their levels will work in an outdated version may also be off-putting to people who may otherwise be interested in working on future projects you make.

No one can force you to make the switch, but they can (and will) encourage you to do so.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Return to “General”