Levels from K (Newest Level: Swiss Desert and Oasis Palace)

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Levels from K (Newest Level: Swiss Desert and Oasis Palace)

Postby Keroro04 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:24 am

Okay, I have learnt the basics of SMBX and PGE (minus the LunaLua), and I have started to make actually tough levels. I'm not sure of the quality, but I wanna share them regardless.

FIRST STAGE: BRITTLE BRANCHES
INFO AND DOWNLOAD: show
A absolutely tough stage, involving learning optimal movement with the Brittle Leaves blocks, while avoiding Asteron needles, Ninji, and even Ring Burners in the latter half! Are you bad enough to get to that Crystal Ball at the end?

V1.1 UPDATE - Fixed the flag and removed the vine block at the beginning.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u9BqwW ... sp=sharing
STAGE 2: SNOWBALL RUN
A simpler stage, focusing on the gimmick of snowballs. The level uses everything already in the base game, and involves avoiding snowballs plucked by Veggie Busters, snowballs thrown by the Flipruses, and even snowballs coming from pipes! If you can get to them first, you can even throw snowballs back at the Veggie Busters! Can you find the three Star Coins?

V1.1 UPDATE - Fixed a bug where the Veggie Busters were breaking the snowballs as they threw them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aNzC2x ... sp=sharing (NOTE: Since the level uses entirely vanilla materials, just the level file is shared with this link, with no Zips included.
STAGE 3: ROCKFALL CAVE
A stage involving avoiding boulders coming from above, from Digging Chucks, and from Pipes, while also traversing through floating bubbles of water later in the level! Fun fact, there was a second version intended for Nova Contest 2, but due to a fellow commentator telling me I should be anonymous with my submissions, I have chosen not to use it, and will simply keep it here as a second, harder version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUQnLm ... sp=sharing (Easy)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ad_AEM ... sp=sharing (Hard)
STAGE 4: OASIS PALACE
A attempt at a boss stage for a first world, using the generic lava as well as using timing via jumping on Ring Burners over floating bits of lava. Not a overall complex level, but still fun to play through.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1__4so ... 7nOLmOZkm5
STAGE 5: SWISS DESERT
A bit longer than previous levels and focusing on a Cheese Land esque theme for the level design, get past a bunch of Skipsqueaks and Moles while grabbing Star Coins, all for a battle against Mouser in the end!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10cwzz ... 0nNY4VNKZK
Last edited by Keroro04 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 am, edited 10 times in total.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Levels from K (Newest Level: Brittle Branches)

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:37 am

Some technical tips:
1) You don't need masks for png files. They use alpha transparency.
2) Usually people structure their folders differently... The folders which level files are in are called "episode folders" and the folders which a level's assets (gfx, music, sounds) are in are called "level folders" and are in the episode folder, named after the level minus the extension. Took me a good second to find the correct level in this crowded place (mainly because there are two level files in this episode folder).
3) Have you tested the level at all? Im falling through the ground when the level starts.

Playthrough notes from after correcting start point in the editor below:
First attempt:
Spoiler: show
- The ring burners can't find their sound effects because they're looking for them in the level folder, and there is no level folder. Make sure to take care of the warnings before uploading levels. They're usually simple to read. "Could not find audio file" or something, is what this one says.

Pretty easy level because of Tanooki Suit and layout. Test your levels for how players might circumvent obstacles you throw at them. I replayed it to make a video so you could see one way of tackling the level. The playthrough is a lot different to my first one (where I didn't use flight or statue). It's also easy because there's always a lot of possible paths, some of which being easily superior to others. Staying on top is very safe in this level, because it provides a safety net and there are barely any obstacles. I forgot to record audio unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQQY-i0Zjc8
Last edited by Enjl on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The ABC of Creation

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Keroro04 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:45 am

Oh crud your right. Sorry, I was moving the P1 flag around to test various points of the level, must have accidentally placed it a few pixels too low. Should be a easy fix with the PGE editor tho.

Added in 17 minutes 22 seconds:
Oh crud you can fit in that small segment? I thought it would be too dangerous due to the spikes! Also, I chose Tanooki over Raccoon since it gave a bit of a chance for SMBX beginners. I think I'll leave it in for speedrunning strats, but I will remove that vine block.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:10 am

Keroro04 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:02 am
Oh crud you can fit in that small segment? I thought it would be too dangerous due to the spikes!
The spikes only hurt facing up. The better solution is to wall the area off.

You can keep the vine block but make it visible, too.
The ABC of Creation

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Keroro04 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:14 am

Oh crud was wrong, I forgot to include the new version of the level with the update!

Added in 6 minutes 16 seconds:
Okay, now it's been properly updated with the fixes.

Added in 23 minutes 58 seconds:
Oh hey BTW Enji, but do you think the gimmick of platforming on the Brittle Leaves is fun? It's a bit tough to get in the rythym, but once you master avoiding the spikes and Ring Burners, it feels quite a bit like the thrill of Bopopolis when you get past the toughest of obstacles. At least, that's the intended feeling for a new player of SMBX for this level.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:01 am

Keroro04 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:44 am
Oh hey BTW Enji, but do you think the gimmick of platforming on the Brittle Leaves is fun? It's a bit tough to get in the rythym, but once you master avoiding the spikes and Ring Burners, it feels quite a bit like the thrill of Bopopolis when you get past the toughest of obstacles. At least, that's the intended feeling for a new player of SMBX for this level.
I don't know what Bopopolis is so I cannot comment on that simile. I personally like levels that frequently present new twists on challenges to the player. My levels tend to have "very short attention spans" (how I like to put it), meaning that no setup is visibly similar to a previous setup, and a lot of ideas are explored in isolation and in combination, while still feeling seamless and like the level continues a central theme.

I think brittle leaves are a very fun idea (I added them to SMBX2 after playing a level with them in Shovel Knight: King of Cards, after all) and have a lot of synergy with NPCs since they can be heavy and trigger them (grrrol, thwomp, etc) as well as walljump scripts.
The ABC of Creation

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:18 am

Very nice level! I agree that it's challenging, however I don't think it's incredibly hard, I could have almost one-shot it if I didn't panic from the last string of fuzzies. Tanooki suit helps you a lot as long as you don't lose it. Also I learned some interesting things, statue doesn't protect you from fuzzy.
For some reason my screen was clogged with warning messages at the ringburners.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Keroro04 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:23 am

Yeah, it's a problem with the Ring Burner Audio thing that I can't fix since I already zipped it up. If you get the Ring Burner files from Enji's thread it could probably be fixed.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:27 am

Keroro04 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:23 am
Yeah, it's a problem with the Ring Burner Audio thing that I can't fix since I already zipped it up. If you get the Ring Burner files from Enji's thread it could probably be fixed.
Zipping isn't final. The audio files are there, but the folder structure you packaged it in is nonsense and not what most code expects. Like I said in my first post in this thread, the audio files are there, but placed in the episode folder and not the level folder.
The ABC of Creation

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: Levels from K (Newest Level: Snowball Run)

Postby Keroro04 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:14 am

A new level is up! Introducing... Snowball Run!

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 am

This level feels a bit rushed.
You could have placed some palm trees as decoration and also a few stray coins maybe. Gameplay is good but the visuals are barebone.
The SMB3 desert BGO is quite out of place imo. I can't really think of a better BGO within vanilla SMBX, so maybe just go without it, or separate those areas with some pipes or clear pipes?
Also the star coins could be displayed in the HUD so the player immediately knows that there are three

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Keroro04 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:35 am

Ah, thanks for the advice, I updated the file for download to add in a bunch of scenery for the level.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:35 am

Much better than the previous one. I like the variety in obstacles. Few notes:
- Swimmable waterfalls are weird
- Some veggie busters fail to throw snowballs. Did you test the level thoroughly?
The ABC of Creation

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Keroro04 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:40 am

Yeah I am still trying to figure out what's wrong with that. If I can properly fix them I'll update the level one last time.

Added in 15 minutes 42 seconds:
I fixed the latter problem. As for the former, the reason the waterfalls can be swam through was because the level was originally named Waterfall Run and involved Pansers instead, but I decided that the Snowballs would make for more fun gimmicks and a better overall level. In the end tho I kept the swimmy waterfalls cause they were a bit fun for me.

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Keroro04 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 am

A new level is up... Introducing Snake Bridge!

Added in 2 minutes 8 seconds:
Re: Levels from K (Newest Level: Snake Bridge)
Oh, btw, with Snake Bridge during the third section I tried setting up many snake blocks to fall when you land on them, but they all end up going at once, and I don't know how to fix that. The section's still possible, but I don't know how to fix the problems of section 3.

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: Levels from K (Newest Level: Snake Bridge)

Postby Keroro04 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:49 am

A new level is up... introducing the Rockfall Cave!

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Keroro04 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:49 am
Snake Bridge
The last snake block in the last section doesn't work properly. All it does is go offscreen

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: Levels from K (Newest Level: Swiss Desert and Oasis Palace)

Postby Keroro04 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:50 pm

Took down and scrapped Snake Bridge, but to replace it two new levels have been uploaded! Introducing Swiss Desert and Oasis Palace!

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:50 am

I'll check out the three newest levels. In the meantime, can you please include one screenshot for every level?

EDIT: The link for Swiss Desert also says "Oasis Palace"

Keroro04
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Keroro04 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:27 am

Sorry, I did not realize the second level failed to copy. It should be fixed now.

Return to “Levels”