Beating Every SMBX Episode: Return of Gigyas Boss Rush and Review

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [3 More Worlds]

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:42 am

Hatsune Blake wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:36 am
Anyways do you think I should try beating every SMBX episode as well? I'm interested in seeing a vast amount of different types of levels, as well as just giving myself hopefully fun stream / recording sessions.
If you want to and think it would be fun, go for it, but just keep in mind that it takes a ton of energy and time to do so. You could always try it out just to see for yourself. I'm think I'm the third best smbx player by objective standards (saying this just to give context), and this took me over 2 years to finish and required in-depth knowledge about numerous aspects of the game. Just pace yourself to what you think is reasonable for you.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [12 More Worlds - Another Super Mario Bros 3 Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Review
Spoiler: show
I just played another super mario bros, the latest 38A episode and after playing it I'll have to give any%ing the episode a 5/10. The episode has levels that are more unique than most smb3 types of episodes and the levels are memorable. The main issue with playing this episode is that world 6 and world 8 are not fun to play at all due to the 38A engine. Another thing that I liked about the episode is that World 8 didn't fill the entire world with autoscrollers like in SMB3. I'm fine with autoscroller levels but having 5 back to back is kind of tedious.

World 6 has ice physics which in the 38A engine automatically makes an episode a lot worse due to how they work in the engine
1. You feel like you're literally walking on quicksand if you want to change or build up momentum from a stationary position.
2. It glitches out randomly making it so you can't move for half a second midair or on the ground.
3. The ice physics after you jump off a ice block affects you midair for no reason
As a result, world 6 was not fun to play at all and honestly felt frustrating.

World 8 was also ruined by how bullet bill launchers were used in the 38A engine
In World 8 there were a lot of bullet bill launchers and as a result, this world was not fun to play. The way bullet bill launchers work is the second a launcher has a pixel on the spawn zone (not on screen, this is a bit off screen), the bullet instantly launches so as a result you would be playing and suddenly a bullet bill spawns that you would have no way of knowing of ahead of time unless you made or already played the level leading you to unfairly getting hit.

Another issue with this episode due to the engine was that hammer bros and its variants just rapidly fired. This would often lead you to unfairly getting hit through only RNG. Imagine if each time you played a level you had to roll a number less than 3 on a dice. This is what some of the levels felt like. Also another issue with the engine is some levels would just randomly bug out because apparently two levels would work differently for two different people in the engine.

Onto 100% and attempting to 100%ing this episode makes the quality of this a 4/10 due to the star coins. A good number of the star coins placements have an issue where you have to hit random invisible blocks to find them. Just because nintendo did that in one of their games doesn't make a good thing to do. There's no indication on where the blocks are and as a result it's virtually almost impossible to find and thus unfair. Another chunk of star coins requires you to already start the level big and as a result the levels don't exist in a vacuum, and it's kind of annoying that you don't find this out until after you beat a good chunk of the level.

The worst level in the episode is 6-2 due to it having a plethora of precise jumps, with ice physics that sometimes don't allow you to move randomly, only two powerups and a lot of RNG from fire bros. Fire bros in 38A are the worst hammer bros variant since their spawn zones are a bit off screen and their arc is the fastest making them the most annoying to dodge.

In fact, if this episode used SMBX2 to make their levels, the ice physics problem would not be there, the bullet bill launcher problem would not be there, the hammer bro RNG issue would not be there, and this episodes rating would jump to a 6/10 for Any% which is decent and 4.5/10 for 100%. Also, the levels wouldn't randomly break. Also, this is by far the author's best episode that I have played from them.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [2 More Worlds + Quest For Cheesburgers Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:04 am

Two More Worlds Left

Review for Quest For Cheeseburgers
I've just finished Quest For Cheeseburgers and here is my review of it. This episode has way too much visual stimuli as in there's a whole lot of background object spam all over the levels, making it hard to see where exactly the enemies are. In addition, some of the custom enemies are the same color as a lot of the background in blocks so you can barely see the enemies and as a result you would run into them randomly. For example, there would be a grey background, grey blocks and a custom sprite that is also grey. This sprite would lack a distinct outline of a different color to make it pop out. Due to these visuals often times you'd play levels and you'd just unfairly get hit due to the fact that it's too visually distracting and cluttered to keep your eyes on the next enemy. Keep in mind that you still have one or two enemies in addition to the next one.

Another issue of this episode is many components of the levels are not clearly indicated. For example, there would often be appearing and disappearing blocks in levels, but the level doesn't show in any clear way they behave like that sometimes. So often, I would jump onto a block and then it would instantly disappear and cause an unfair death. In other levels you have to kill random enemies for things to appear so sometimes it's not clearly indicated which enemies you have to kill in a level. There was one lava rising section where I was supposed to kill all of the slimes but I didn't know I had to so since the lava was rising I rushed into that section and in essence basically if I re-entered that section would instantly die. Speaking of unfair deaths, there's a lot of invisible blocks meant to lead you to a higher elevation in this episode. However, they're placed right next to pits or near enemies so often you would randomly hit an invisible block and just die since you were holding right or trying to jump over an enemy.

Moving on to the secret stars, the pipes you need to enter for the secret stars are clear for the most part, but often times you'd have to hit invisible blocks to find them or kill random enemies so it's either an unfair and unfun game to find blocks or a tedious endeavor to kill the enemies that you need to enter the pipe for the invisible block. Also, each level has a boss fight and often times the mid-bosses and bosses would have multiple phases. There's no problem with multiple phases, but there is a problem with the fact sometimes after finishing a phase, an enemy would spawn right where you were located leading to more unfair and unfun deaths. The main bosses of the episode had way too much hp ranging from 30-60 hits meaning that they would become tedious to play. There's nothing challenging in trying to dodge rinkas 30 times in a row.

Onto the positives is that there were some neat setups in world 2, but overtime you'd realize that the author would in essence use the same setup but with differing graphics in later worlds so it became dull and repetitive. Also, genuine care and effort went into the episode but it doesn't resolve the myriad of issues that it has. Overall if this was all of the problems of the episode I would give this a 3/10.

However, it's not as the episode was not clearly beta-tested properly. There was a mid-boss that softlocked you since it would glitch into the wall and out of bounds. Also, there was a pipe that was missing a warp in World 6 so I had to fix that while playing. There was also a bunch of pipes where they would just spaz out and not work until multiple attempts due to the fact that pipes right after a slope don't really work that well. These problems would have clearly be fixed if this episode was beta tested using the world map. Another issue is that both in the final level and the final boss there was an invisible projectile that would damage you randomly. It was a graphically glitch most likely but as a result, the final stretch of this episode was exceedingly awful to play.

That being said Quest of Cheeseburgers receives a 2.5/10.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [It's Done]

Postby Eclipsed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:28 am

It is done. I have beat every smbx episode, not 38A because 38A is not smbx in the same way smbx is not mario. SMBX is mario fangame and 38A is an SMBX fangame.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [The Princess Cliche 2 Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:12 pm

The Princess Cliche 2 Review
The princess cliche 2 is an episode where if you like princess cliche and super mario world, you can check it out. In my opinion, it doesn't really offer anything new as an episode that other episodes or rom hacks have offered before. It's something that in my opinion that if you want a short episode to kill time, it'd be fine to play, but not something that I'd replay again. Moreover, the secret exits were fine for the most part except it had exits where you had to go in random pipes, thus setting the precedent of checking every single pipe since it was not obviously indicated. In addition, there were a few secret exits where it required flying and the only indication was that the screen scrolled upwards. Besides, the other 75% of the secrets were clearly indicated. Another thing that I wish the episode did was indicate clearly unless I missed was when two of the levels did not have stars since I was confused where to find them. This episode feels like it takes inspiration from princess cliche and super mario world but doesn't offer anything new. That being said, this is better than the vast majority of first episodes as there's not rampant design problems. Moreover, I like how the towns reflect the original aesthetic of princess cliche towns. I give this episode a 5/10, so check it out personally to see if you, yourself would like it as this episode isn't for everyone. That's basically what a 5/10 means in my ratings.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [The Invasion 3: The Dark Gem Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:01 am

The Invasion 3 Review
The Invasion 3: The Dark Gem is an episode made long ago and posted to an SMBX facebook page. If I had one word to describe the episode it would be boredom. The quality of the episode is either slightly better or worse than The Great Castle Adventure. Also, the game keeps giving you powerups every 5 seconds so you can damage boost almost every level. I know there's supposed to be powerups in games but there's a thing such as too much where it nullifies the entire episode's gameplay. Speaking of nullify, you get a blue boot at the end of world 2. Also, the hardest boss in the game was boom boom on a flat surface since it was the only one where it didn't give you infinite powerups. If the bosses didn't give you infinite power ups some of them would be frustrating instead of boring which is worse. I rate this episode a 2/10.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [Bowser's Bosses Fight Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Bowser's Bosses Fight
In short the episode is more of something the designer made for themselves to experiment with stuff moreso than a full fledged on episode. The episode is just another mediocre boss rush which it's the quality of The Great Castle Adventure and not frustrating (which is what I rate a 2/10). However, this episode has functionality problems including a entrance into a level that just kills you or multiple files triggering credits that is a hassle to deal with. Also, the only required thing to beat this episode is to find a credits trigger. With all of the functionality issues, I rate this episode a 1/10

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: [The New World 2 Remastered Boss Rush and Review]

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Review
Note: This is only a review of the new content in the episode
Overall, the new content in the episode is definitely some of andre's best levels they've made. There's a variety of setups in each new level and a different gimmick so I'd say it's worth checking them out. My only gripe with them is some of them just feel slow.

Also, the last boss doesn't feel awful to play anymore.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Every SMBX Episode: [2k1x Subzero Heroes Full Playthrough (Magnets+Achievements) + Review] - The Best SMBX Episode

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Full Playthrough, all magnets and achievements

Review
Sub Zero Heroes is the best smbx episode I have ever played. There’s not an ounce wasted in the game. Every enemy, background and scenery is placed with purpose. The game continually kept me engaged when I thought this game has to run out of ideas or steam at some point due to how smbx episodes usually go. But however that never happened.

Among the levels, the final level was amazing, it combined every obstacle and challenge that you faced along the way for what truly felt like what a final level should be. My favorite part of the final level has to be the LAST RISE segment. My favorite level is of course the final level, but I feel like saying that would just be cheating since this level just blows all of the other ones out of the water when the other levels were already extremely well designed. Excluding the final level, my favorite level has to be the stratospire. It literally felt like I was playing a puzzle flash game instead of a mario fan game and honestly my head hurts a bit after that.

The bosses in the episode were just phenomenal and every single one of the attacks feel memorable. If you were given a single attack or projectile from any boss, you could easily identify which boss it was. Each boss also has a hard mode that you can enable by purchasing dyes and none of them feel the same as their normal mode counterparts. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and this is a must play for anyone. Needless to say but the aesthetics of the world map and levels are jaw-dropping gorgeous.

This episode goes above and beyond to accommodate all types of players. For completionists, none of the achievements feel cheap and all of them fulfill a sense of accomplishment once you achieve it. All of the hidden achievements in the episode are hinted at so it never feels like you’ll actually become lost finding them. You just have to be really attentive.

This episode can be played casually or hardcore depending on purchasing shop items or turning on assist mode. When I was playing I was attempting to attain the capitalism achievement before finding all the magnets so due to that the game became harder than it needed to be. In fact, after beating the game using items to beat the hard mode of the bosses except (neko-san, I play too risky there) became a breeze to beat.

For speedrunners, each level and boss has a time trial and Spinda’s treehouse and based on your time you attain a certain rank up to SSS. To accommodate speedrunners, these time trials have an instant retry button. In addition any consumables that are brought into the time trials are restored upon retries or completion of attempts. The shop and stash are right next to the attempt bench so you can easily change your equipment and item set before entering a level. This minimizes the downtime between any attempts for the levels which is a blessing.

In addition each of these speedruns in order to achieve the SSS rank require a lot of depth and knowledge about the episode. For example in the first level, I equipped Glimmer Cape, Whirlpool Pipe, Shadow Cloak and three Bubble Bottles. In another level that’s more damage boost centric for speedrun strats, I may have to equip Shadow Cloak, two time capsules and three dematerlizers. For the bosses I did a speedrun of White Bounce and equipped Glimmer Cape and Wide Cape and performed a damage boost at one point during the fight. For another boss such as Apollo it’s better to use three cruel assists and shock biscuit.

For a full game any% run there’s also depth and nuance to how to route it. There’s a variety of items in the shop that might save time overall for a full game and figuring out the best method to speed through it will be tricky. The part I like most about speedrunning is routing and I kind of don’t usually enjoy the execution of runs often. In general, I stopped having fun with speedrunning SMBX. However, Subzero Heroes alleviates these issues by implementing buffer jumps and coyote jumps so you won’t run into the jank moments where SMBX decided you didn’t press jump. In fact, I think adding coyote jumps adds more depths to the speedrun since there may be areas where you have to intentionally perform them. I honestly was going to stop playing SMBX after I finished this episode but after seeing how much depth a speedrun of this game requires, I’m planning to start streaming speedruns of various aspects of this episode.

All three things I disliked about the episode are such minor nitpicks that they are in essence a non-issue that I don’t feel like they’re worth mentioning in this review.

Overall, this episode was a passion project of over three years and the quality of it really shows. Everyone who worked on this did a fantastic job and it was fun seeing the numerous nods and references to mario, kirby, pokemon (mystery dungeon), megaman and various other of those gosh darn video games. This episode is the best episode I have played and I rate it 10/10
I'll be streaming speedruns Monday-Thursday 4 PM EST, Friday-Saturday 9 PM EST, Sunday 4 PM EST,
Make sure to head to Enjl's channel for a damagless boss rush

Nadav
Pokey
Pokey

Re: Beating Every SMBX Episode: Nova Level Contest Boss Rush

Postby Nadav » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Check out my episodes:

Nadav
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Nadav » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:34 pm
I already did
Thanks but why do you hate playing as Luigi so much? It was annoying that you did eveeything to be Mario because you destroyed the plot, but I could understand plots dont interest you anyway because of your skips from dialoges.
Check out my episodes:

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:31 pm

Nadav wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 pm
Eclipsed wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:34 pm
I already did
Thanks but why do you hate playing as Luigi so much? It was annoying that you did eveeything to be Mario because you destroyed the plot, but I could understand plots dont interest you anyway because of your skips from dialoges.
I just played as Mario on stream because I thought itd be funny. I'm planning on making a showcase video for this episode later.

Nadav
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Nadav » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:11 am

You mean at youtube?
Check out my episodes:

Return to “General”