How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 pm
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby mariogeek2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Here's the secret to telling a decent/average/good episode from an awesome/cool/epic/great episode:

The Banner/Poster!
That's it. If the episode has a good banner, then 9 times out of 10, it'll be a great episode. However, if it has a decent/meh banner, then you'll know it'll be an average episode. Example of good one:
Luigi's Fight for the Mushroom Kingdom Banner
Example of meh one:
Super Mario Bros Mystery Island
Spoiler: show
Image
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

User avatar
Magna
Banned
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm
Current Project: Soon to be announced! (When PGE releases an engine that is)

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Magna » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:Here's the secret to telling a decent/average/good episode from an awesome/cool/epic/great episode:

The Banner/Poster!
That's it. If the episode has a good banner, then 9 times out of 10, it'll be a great episode. However, if it has a decent/meh banner, then you'll know it'll be an average episode. Example of good one:
Luigi's Fight for the Mushroom Kingdom Banner
Example of meh one:
Super Mario Bros Mystery Island
I'm sorry, but that is stupid. Where is the logic in that?
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

Mable
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 am
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d
Contact:

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Mable » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Inb this starts as a rant.

User avatar
RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4987
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:56 pm

<reghrhre> 2 much logic
And I agree.

Also what's with good projects without a banner like mine?
im bored

User avatar
RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby RoundPiplup » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:08 pm

It's like what we are suppose to listen to:

"Never judge a book by their cover."

Just because the banner is "meh" doesn't always mean that the episode will always be decent.
Last edited by RoundPiplup on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Past still haunts me.
Spoiler: show
Image

Image
...

sleepy
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:33 pm
Current Project: absolutely nothing

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby sleepy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:09 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:Here's the secret to telling a decent/average/good episode from an awesome/cool/epic/great episode:

The Banner/Poster!
That's it. If the episode has a good banner, then 9 times out of 10, it'll be a great episode. However, if it has a decent/meh banner, then you'll know it'll be an average episode. Example of good one:
Luigi's Fight for the Mushroom Kingdom Banner
Example of meh one:
Super Mario Bros Mystery Island
lolwhat

How does the banner determine if the episode is awesome or decent?
That's some flawed logic dude.

a. Said episode may have great level design, but a bad banner
b. Said episode may have a great banner, but bad level design

"Never judge a book by their cover."

This applies here.
Regards,
sleepy



IRC Quotes
Spoiler: show
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

<Legend-tony980> GhostHawk, what is a bot?
<GhostBot> a user without a soul
contact info
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Frozen Rex
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:55 am

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Frozen Rex » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:17 pm

So you are saying that if an episode doesn't have a banner or have a bad banner it means this is bad episode? WRONG. Almost the best completed episodes doesn't even have a banner. Seriously, did you see Mario Classics or SMSE have a banner?

User avatar
mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 pm
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby mariogeek2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Frozen Rex wrote:So you are saying that if an episode doesn't have a banner or have a bad banner it means this is bad episode? WRONG. Almost the best completed episodes doesn't even have a banner. Seriously, did you see Mario Classics or SMSE have a banner?
I didn't say that if an episode doesn't have a banner it's a bad one. Episodes without banners can either be good or bad.
Spoiler: show
Image
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

User avatar
RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4987
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Apart the famous sentence "Don't judge a book by his cover" and the banner things, remember that today isn't the 1st of April.
im bored

User avatar
mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 pm
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby mariogeek2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm

All right, here's why episodes with good banners are usually (Not Always) better than episodes with bad banners:
It reflects the effort put into the episode.
Yeah, I've heard the saying 'Don't judge a book by a cover.', but a banner can be a good indicator of the quality of the episode. If someone put a lot of effort into an episode, and design a banner for the episode, they'd probably want to put just as much effort into designing the banner as the episode. However, if someone's designing an episode, and is rushing it, they'll probably rush the banner too. It's just common sense. This isn't always perfect, but the more I play SMBX episodes and compare them, the more I begin to realize the link between the quality of the banner and the episode.
Spoiler: show
Image
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

sleepy
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:33 pm
Current Project: absolutely nothing

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby sleepy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:All right, here's why episodes with good banners are usually (Not Always) better than episodes with bad banners:
It reflects the effort put into the episode.
Yeah, I've heard the saying 'Don't judge a book by a cover.', but a banner can be a good indicator of the quality of the episode. If someone put a lot of effort into an episode, and design a banner for the episode, they'd probably want to put just as much effort into designing the banner as the episode. However, if someone's designing an episode, and is rushing it, they'll probably rush the banner too. It's just common sense. This isn't always perfect, but the more I play SMBX episodes and compare them, the more I begin to realize the link between the quality of the banner and the episode.
it's possible people can suck at creating banners ykno
but be amazing at level design
Regards,
sleepy



IRC Quotes
Spoiler: show
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

<Legend-tony980> GhostHawk, what is a bot?
<GhostBot> a user without a soul
contact info
Spoiler: show
Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8453
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Enjl » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

By your logic I should've switched to just creating banners all day long.

By the way I found two more cases:
Good banner, terrible episide: effort put into the banner to attract people and brainwash them into thinking the episode is decent.
Bad banner, great episode: no effort put into banner, just wanted to have one. Looks goofy and if people are aware of your designing skill, will attract people.
The ABC of Creation
________________________________________________________
Image

User avatar
Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am
Current Project: ???

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:25 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:It reflects the effort put into the episode.
No, it reflects the effort put into the banner. Like someone else said, SMSE and Mario Classic don't have banners at all but they're considered to be some of the best episodes around. Hell, even the Invasion 2 doesn't have a banner and it's the quintessential SMBX episode.

Yeah basically don't judge an episode by its banner.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016


User avatar
qig
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:14 pm
Current Project: SMBX FORUM THE RPG (ahahaahhahaha)
Contact:

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby qig » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 pm

i have a way to tell a decent episode from an awesome episode
1) ignore things like screenshots, banners and trailers.
2) download the episode
3) play the episode
4) determine the quality of the episode after spending a sufficient amount of time playing it.
Image

User avatar
Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1688
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:45 pm
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Current Project: Dormiveglia
Contact:

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:58 am

Is this topic real?

and also i agree with qig, but 15% of the community actually does what you listed.
Image
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

User avatar
Star
Bit
Bit
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:22 pm
Current Project: GlitchPC. Where Insanity means Normal.

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Star » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:07 am

mariogeek2 wrote:All right, here's why episodes with good banners are usually (Not Always) better than episodes with bad banners:
It reflects the effort put into the episode.
Yeah, I've heard the saying 'Don't judge a book by a cover.', but a banner can be a good indicator of the quality of the episode. If someone put a lot of effort into an episode, and design a banner for the episode, they'd probably want to put just as much effort into designing the banner as the episode. However, if someone's designing an episode, and is rushing it, they'll probably rush the banner too. It's just common sense. This isn't always perfect, but the more I play SMBX episodes and compare them, the more I begin to realize the link between the quality of the banner and the episode.
*Looks at Bossedit8's Project,*
*Compares it with his banner.*

If I made a banner, I'll probably make it okay but not perfect.
Its like Chuggaaconroy comparing the Music in Kid Icarus Uprising saying the music is just the 'tip of the iceberg'

People want the players to see what their dealing/playing with. Like the reason why my Kaizo Trials has a banner with a death of a SMW mario. It shows people that this project is hard. (Actual no. Her project isn't hard. Its just plain weird and It has jerk placement of things. Star out!)

Get what I mean? 2 People on the same computer isn't easy.
I have stop updating my project. Don't cry though. It's being updated here!

http://smbxuniverse.my-board.org/

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2142
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Murphmario » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:26 am

You are 100% wrong.

This deserves a lock.

The only thing I agree on is the no banner thing.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby RoundPiplup » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Murphmario wrote:You are 100% wrong.

This deserves a lock.

The only thing I agree on is the no banner thing.
I agree. Banners still doesn't mean anything. They are just little user bars that supports a episode, or to attract people to try the episode, or probably made for fun(or some kind of reason).
The only way to find out if an episode is awesome or decent is to play through the game. But barely anyone does that, since it's possibly time-taking.
The Past still haunts me.
Spoiler: show
Image

Image
...

User avatar
Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: How to Tell a Decent Episode From an Awesome Episode

Postby Namyrr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Don't judge a book by its cover.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests