Mafia Discussion

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
User avatar
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
Posts: 4302
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:42 pm

So, is that just a blue mafioso or does he have a power/mechanic?

User avatar
Magna
Banned
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm
Current Project: Soon to be announced! (When PGE releases an engine that is)

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Magna » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Joey wrote:So, is that just a blue mafioso or does he have a power/mechanic?
Well, he pretends to be the doctor but he is really gaining information from the guy. I'm still working on it.
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

User avatar
TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby TLtimelord » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Blue Greed wrote:
Joey wrote:So, is that just a blue mafioso or does he have a power/mechanic?
Well, he pretends to be the doctor but he is really gaining information from the guy. I'm still working on it.
Or any blue member for that matter.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

User avatar
Anphiba
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 am

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Anphiba » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:10 pm

I know a good role that nobody thinks of unless they are playing Werewolf. It's not made up. It's actually a real role.

Little Kid:
-Regular Townsperson
-Allowed to PM a player's name to the Game Master and the Game Master will show everyone that player's color.
-Cannot be lynched. (Who would lynch a poor little kid?)

I think it would be a good role to add to the game. :D
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:09 pm
Flair: Is this where I type my password?
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby HenryRichard » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Anphiba wrote:I know a good role that nobody thinks of unless they are playing Werewolf. It's not made up. It's actually a real role.

Little Kid:
-Regular Townsperson
-Allowed to PM a player's name to the Game Master and the Game Master will show everyone that player's color.
-Cannot be lynched. (Who would lynch a poor little kid?)

I think it would be a good role to add to the game. :D
Might use it if I host a game. You can only reveal a player's color once, right?
Image

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby zioy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:06 pm

I'm crossing my fingers for M5 game signup (not host signup) to start when I'm online.

I also came up with a few role ideas:

Ninja
Comes up green when seered, but has the same mechanics as a jester from M4.

Fourth Wall
They can choose one color; somebody of that color will have their role revealed as a color. However, this will show the Godfather as red, and the Miller as green, as well as other "trick" roles, including the Ninja.

User avatar
Karl Marx
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Current Project: Getting a college degree

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Karl Marx » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

People are starting to think that new roles means a more fun game, whereas that isn't always the case. Sometimes all the special roles end up making the game end way too quickly, leaving no room for true manipulative planning in favor of random luck by the abilities of the special roles.

The best mafia games take KISS into affect: Keep it simple, stupid :D

It's a lot more fun when the only specials are the doctor and sherriff rather than practially everyone having special roles
Image

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby zioy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:27 am

Colorful Catastrophe has quite a few special roles that are mainly meant to cause confusion. I do agree that specials shouldn't be overused, but I personally really liked spectating M4.

User avatar
Magna
Banned
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm
Current Project: Soon to be announced! (When PGE releases an engine that is)

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Magna » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:31 am

How about:

Hobo: Is a mafioso but has the ability to permanently nullify any players role. Has this ability for only one use.

:D
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby zioy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 am

Blue Dread wrote:How about:

Hobo: Is a mafioso but has the ability to permanently nullify any players role. Has this ability for only one use.

:D
That would mean basically instant win for the mafia if they nullify the Sheriff and Doctor.

User avatar
Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Bomber57 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:34 am

The way I see introducing new roles: You shouldn't introduce too many new roles at once. Sure, I am technically introducing 3 roles and a role variation but just try to limit how much you introduce at once when adding new roles, original or not.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

User avatar
Magna
Banned
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm
Current Project: Soon to be announced! (When PGE releases an engine that is)

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Magna » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:34 am

KoolKat wrote:
Blue Dread wrote:How about:

Hobo: Is a mafioso but has the ability to permanently nullify any players role. Has this ability for only one use.

:D
That would mean basically instant win for the mafia if they nullify the Sheriff and Doctor.
1. Hobo can only use this once.
2. They may or may not know who the doctor or sheriff is, right?
3. Even without the doctor or sheriff, the town can still win.
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby zioy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 am

Bomber57 wrote:The way I see introducing new roles: You shouldn't introduce too many new roles at once. Sure, I am technically introducing 3 roles and a role variation but just try to limit how much you introduce at once when adding new roles, original or not.
Well, I like simplicity, but spicing things up a bit doesn't hurt. Colorful Catastrophe, for example, mostly has role variations and 2-3 new roles.
Blue Dread wrote:
KoolKat wrote:
Blue Dread wrote:How about:

Hobo: Is a mafioso but has the ability to permanently nullify any players role. Has this ability for only one use.

:D
That would mean basically instant win for the mafia if they nullify the Sheriff and Doctor.
1. Hobo can only use this once.
2. They may or may not know who the doctor or sheriff is, right?
3. Even without the doctor or sheriff, the town can still win.
1. Ah, well, if I were hobo I'd use it on the Sheriff once I found out.
2. Well, knowing how Mafia usually turns out, he probably would by the first day :P
3. True, but it's way harder without the Sheriff.

User avatar
Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Bomber57 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 am

I feel at some point we should compile a Role Index perhaps. It would list all the roles, and under each role their variations (if any) or different interpretations (like with qig's SK working different; if any).

The Roles listed in the index would only be ones that appeared in official Mafia games that were accepted, so no roles from prospective games will be added until they are, y'know, actually played.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby zioy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am

Bomber57 wrote:I feel at some point we should compile a Role Index perhaps. It would list all the roles, and under each role their variations (if any) or different interpretations (like with qig's SK working different; if any).

The Roles listed in the index would only be ones that appeared in official Mafia games that were accepted, so no roles from prospective games will be added until they are, y'know, actually played.
After M5 or M10.

On another note, what is everyone's opinion on Colorful Catastrophe?

User avatar
Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1905
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 am
Flair: dumb bitch energy

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Sancles-Chan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:44 am

2 of the (townsperson color) roles are the only color in the game basically, i find that a bit wierd
Image
certified dumb bitch

User avatar
Magna
Banned
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm
Current Project: Soon to be announced! (When PGE releases an engine that is)

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Magna » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:45 am

KoolKat wrote:
Bomber57 wrote:I feel at some point we should compile a Role Index perhaps. It would list all the roles, and under each role their variations (if any) or different interpretations (like with qig's SK working different; if any).

The Roles listed in the index would only be ones that appeared in official Mafia games that were accepted, so no roles from prospective games will be added until they are, y'know, actually played.
After M5 or M10.

On another note, what is everyone's opinion on Colorful Catastrophe?
Well, I see the gimmick in it, but it has way to many colors to work.

Like if the player comes up cyan then you know exactly what he was. It makes the game a little too easy.
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby zioy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 am

Blue Dread wrote:Like if the player comes up cyan then you know exactly what he was. It makes the game a little too easy.
No, because don't forget that the mafia will paint everybody they kill (as long as it makes sense to), so if a player turns up cyan, you don't know who they are. Lynching will produce accurate colors, since the artist can only paint players that are being killed by the Mafia anyway.

User avatar
Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1905
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 am
Flair: dumb bitch energy

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Sancles-Chan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:51 am

Now everything makes more sense
Image
certified dumb bitch

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby zioy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

Little Boo wrote:Now everything makes more sense
Yup, I thought through it very carefully. My original plan was way different. It was basically:

M5 - Battle of the Mafia

Godfather
Mafioso
Mafioso
Mafioso

Sheriff
Townie
Townie
Townie

General
Soldier
Soldier
Soldier

Basically, the Mafia vs. the Army, the townie's goal is to survive, and the armed groups' goals are to kill each other off.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest