Dusk Forest

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Dusk Forest

Postby electricpretzel0 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Check out a level I made several months back. It was good so I decided to share it.

ScreenShot (I hope you can see it ._.)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2fdEWI ... o0dzQ/edit
Spoiler: show
You can download the level here, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2fdEW ... sp=sharing

Thanks for viewing. I'm not sure if Google drive will show the image or give the download, we'll see. :D
Last edited by Enjl on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added working screenshot since Kep didn't see it and all that.
I want a brand new python-support SMBpy one day.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Re: Dusk Forest

Postby silent_ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 am

Looking back at some of the older levels that haven't yet been reviewed, I particularly noticed this one having an invalid screenshot and download. I would recommend using something else than Google Drive, because pretty much anything Google nowadays is horrible. For screenshots, perhaps Imgur, TinyPic, or Photobucket would work, and for a download Mediafire or DropBox is highly recommended. I will apply you twenty-four hours to give a functional screen and download and then after that it shall get locked and you'll have to PM me the working things and I'll edit them in.
previously known as Kep

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:17 am

Sheesh, Kep, I can view the screen.
I've added it as an imgur link to the first post.
For downloading the level you just go to File in the upper left corner and then "Download", which is the lowest option. It gives you the archive.
Please do not use any of my assets (graphics, scripts) in works affiliated with the Novaverse. This applies to the original releases of those assets as well as any third-party variations (recolours, script alterations). Thank you.

The ABC of Creation

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:35 am

Sceptrum wrote:Sheesh, Kep, I can view the screen.
I've added it as an imgur link to the first post.
For downloading the level you just go to File in the upper left corner and then "Download", which is the lowest option. It gives you the archive.
Thanks, also Google Drive screenshots never show for me.
previously known as Kep

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Sorry, I have a K9 Web Protection on my internet to protect my computer from viruses and bad downloads. That's why I can't use any image hosting sites or download sites. Forgive me for this. I'm am short on options. I'd appreciate it if you rated my level :)

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:54 pm

My Video Playthrough:

Original YouTube Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-353fTVrCJo

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Oh wow. Thanks for making a video of my level! Also I like how well you played it too. You showed me a bug with the pipe where you need ground to enter it. Oh well. I'd probably just replace it with a ramp rather than an edge block. Thanks!

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot
Chat Username: Kley

Postby Kley » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Design- The design of this level is a bit too much to take in at first to be honest. Right from he beginning, you say all of the things in the level that you can find, and it feels like it's almost obligatory to find everything, which i tried my hardest to. The design was okay though. Non-linear, which is good, but nothing too unique about it, except that sometimes you had an overload of NPCs on screen, which wold cause my screen to lag and end up in me dying :(. The design of the level wasn't linear, like I said, but it lacked something that could have made it better. I'm not sure, but it was just a bit boring in my opinion. Try adding unique gimmicks to the level, or some moving layers, maybe even water.

Scenery- The level was a bit bleak ironically. It had a small amount of scenery, except for the whole level being recolored. To be honest, the color of the level got really old really fast, and it was just a bit too much.

Replay Value- The fact that this level had a secret exit and secret 1-ups, etc, could make me want to play this level again. The only thing that would stop be from playing this level again is the choppiness during some parts, and the length.

Misc- The music was kind of funny for some reason. I don't know why, but it just was. As stated, the custom graphics were okay, but a bit overbearing with the whole level being orange...(custom gfx, music, pros, cons)

PROS:
-Cool amount of secrets
-Non-linearism
-Thanks for the Tanooki suit
-Secret exit

CONS:
-Lacked gimmick
-Too much orange/brown
-Lengthy for a level with no real special gimmicks
-Music choice was kind of lol
-To be honest, I would have never found the secret exit without looking a the level in the editor after beating it . . . Don't make secret exits too hidden, or don't make them hidden warps because that's frowned upon (Or make the hidden warp more obvious . . . )
-The secret exit should have had more route to it rather than being able to finish the level early just by finding the secret exit.

Score: 5.5/10
Moved to Average

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Well if you were to make it better what would you do? What kind of gimmick? What would you do to make it unique? Btw, you really can't judge a level by its music and two of your Cons are the same thing lol. Secret exit might need work, but that's why it's called SECRET. DURP.

Kley
Edge
Edge

Postby Kley » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:52 pm

electricpretzel0 wrote:Well if you were to make it better what would you do? What kind of gimmick? What would you do to make it unique? Btw, you really can't judge a level by its music and two of your Cons are the same thing lol. Secret exit might need work, but that's why it's called SECRET. DURP.

Gimmick, meaning more than just traveling to the end around some enemies and minor obstacles. Wow us. Surprise us.
Also, I can judge a level by music if I damn well please because it's my damn opinion for god sakes. I always give my input on
the music a person chose for a level. The music doesn't actually hurt your score or help it necessarily, it's more of a pro/con
in my review. Also, yeah your secret exit does need work, because how do you expect someone so discover a hidden warp in
the ground? DURP. Usually secret exits entail some sort of lead way, but yours didn't really. The only extremely subtle hint
that was provided by your secret exit was the jumping piranha.

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Yunoanswermyquestions? I asked HOW YOU would make it better. I still dunno what you mean by more than obstacles and enemies. The secret exit was short just like the SMW donuts plains keyhole that you reach by running up the wall of green "!" blocks with feathers in them. I do admit the idea of having in the ground is cheesy, but I didn't know how to make it secret. When I make secrets, I make them for only the WORTHY and QUALIFIED people that search every crevasse of the level. I wanted to make sure you weren't able to find it without it being obvious. Pipes are too obvious for the secret also. If you don't like my music so be it. PMD2 is one of my fav games.

Kley
Edge
Edge

Postby Kley » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Add gimmick. Get creative with events. Maybe some more creatively used moving layers. Also the secret exit could have been a hidden path that may have been accessible with a hammer suit or a raccoon power up, a Yoshi, a hidden block with a vine that goes up, a spring that needs to be brought somewhere (like the gimmick you had in your level to begin with) or something! And I think the secret exit should have had more to it, like an alternate route once you found it rather than just a simple exit that is right then and there. Also holding down during a whole level to try and find a secret warp doesn't take being WORTHY or being QUALIFIED, it's just a nuisance. Just trust me when I say that. I wish you would stop arguing now.

Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Namyrr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 pm

electricpretzel0 wrote:dinger
Kley wrote:donger
electricpretzel,

If you guys want to continue arguing, take it to PM. I'd reccomend against continuing, but w/e. As for the level; if you wish for the level to be re-reviewed, make whatever changes you feel necessary after reading Kley's review and whatnot. If you're fine with it being in Average, cool.

Kley,

Wasn't really necessary to tell him that you "review your own damn way" and whatnot.
But really, just drop the argument in this topic and take it to PM or just drop it entirely.

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:22 am

Now I really have to say this. Sorry.
Kley wrote:Add gimmick. Get creative with events. Maybe some more creatively used moving layers.
You know, events are actually there with the red switches at this level but one thing for sure is that events is not really needed to make a good level. Sure, events are making a Level more unique but you can also make a level without events and still it looks good. You should not make a level only with events, either a lot of little bit of it. You can do this without and still it looks good.
Kley wrote:The secret exit could have been a hidden path that may have been accessible with a hammer suit or a raccoon power up, a Yoshi, a hidden block with a vine that goes up, a spring that needs to be brought somewhere (like the gimmick you had in your level to begin with) or something! And I think the secret exit should have had more to it, like an alternate route once you found it rather than just a simple exit that is right then and there. Also holding down during a whole level to try and find a secret warp doesn't take being WORTHY or being QUALIFIED, it's just a nuisance.
That is not really needed either. Everyone has their own design choices. You can make a secret exit either obviously or well hidden. Look at Super Mario World from Nintendo for example, some of the secret exits are hard to find but others are simple how to get.

@electricpretzel0: Do not worry about that. Everyone has their own opinions about a review and designing capability. I really liked your Level. I really would of give your level 9/10 rating by your level design, enemies and nice secrets and atmosphere. The colors and events are also a great thing on your level. Downfalls are those glitches I found out during my playthrough.

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am

Alright well thanks for your input. I'll see what I can do to improve my level ;o.

Return to “Average”