Streaming Mario Challenge

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Streaming Mario Challenge

Postby Paper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:05 am

Haven't made a real post in a while, and decided only recently to install the latest version of 2.0

Ant let me tell ya

Mario Challenge is awesome!
Awesome enough that I think it'd be something nice to stream. No one has to submit any levels. Nothing needs to be voted for or waited on.
Just some good ol' Mario Challenge fun (may or may not be for the whole family).

Here's how it would work:
To begin, I would set the stage number to infinite. I keep going until I either A. Game over, B. Beat a level that ends the game, or C. Extend beyond 2 and a half to 3 hours. If A or B happens in less than an hour, I go again.
I would start with 3 lives and a single mushroom, and I would have infinite rerolls (to keep things fresh; I don't wanna sit on the same level for half an hour)

Not exactly sure about good times to stream considering that people on this forum all come from vastly different places (though a significant number are European), meaning that people have to adjust to times zones, but you and I could in theory work out the most optimal time. Streams will must likely happen on weekends and times will be in EST. Use this website to calculate what that equates to in your time zone.

Thoughts?
(twitch.tv is in signature)
Steam:
Spoiler: show
YouTube Channel: Twitch Channel:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Re: Streaming Mario Challenge

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:09 am

Same thing I plan on doing, except less brutal. (And before I get my new PC...) Good luck.

ImageImageImage

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:35 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Same thing I plan on doing, except less brutal. (And before I get my new PC...)
You are?
Perhaps we could do a live race.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Good luck.
Thanks!

Not too sure how to promote this sort of thing though. Any ideas?
Steam:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:01 pm

PaperPlayerX wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Same thing I plan on doing, except less brutal. (And before I get my new PC...)
You are?
Perhaps we could do a live race.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Good luck.
Thanks!

Not too sure how to promote this sort of thing though. Any ideas?
A live race, I accept. I am doing instant kill, staring with three lives, mirror, slippery, random characters, 2 rerolls (for the chance of getting one of bossedit8's Touhou Danmakufu Levels is quite high for me), but I have to ask, what would the audience say we should do in the "competition"

ImageImageImage

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:03 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:A live race, I accept. I am doing instant kill, staring with three lives, mirror, slippery, random characters, 2 rerolls (for the chance of getting one of bossedit8's Touhou Danmakufu Levels is quite high for me), but I have to ask, what would the audience say we should do in the "competition"
Well first off, we'd have to be on an even playing field.

I'd say...
-We should only play the episodes and levels that come with the default 2.0 (unless we can agree on extra episodes/levels to include)
-Starting with three lives sounds good
-3 rerolls each, maybe
-First to complete a game-ending level wins, or the one who doesn't game over.
-Maybe start with one mushroom? Not sure if that's too easy.

Do those rules sound fair?
Steam:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 pm

PaperPlayerX wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:A live race, I accept. I am doing instant kill, staring with three lives, mirror, slippery, random characters, 2 rerolls (for the chance of getting one of bossedit8's Touhou Danmakufu Levels is quite high for me), but I have to ask, what would the audience say we should do in the "competition"
Well first off, we'd have to be on an even playing field.

I'd say...
-We should only play the episodes and levels that come with the default 2.0 (unless we can agree on extra episodes/levels to include)
-Starting with three lives sounds good
-3 rerolls each, maybe
-First to complete a game-ending level wins, or the one who doesn't game over.
-Maybe start with one mushroom? Not sure if that's too easy.

Do those rules sound fair?
Sounds to easy. I am going to make a backup then since I have over 40 episodes in my 2.0 worlds folder, as well as the 24+ contests that I have judged in the last year or two. I also have every Tower of Biased, and yeah. I am removing every level that ends the game since that is just cheap. (Or just remove the game ending event and change it to showing a SMB3 star.) What about the rules of the extra challenge? Which do we use? I think we should do this. I think we each add 11 episodes each, and up to three episodes per person who posts in this thread with a list. My list would be Tower of Bias 1-10 (Collection pretty much) and Airship Attack (Which I know you have). To remove a level from Mario challenge, you can just put three warps from the level into another level so it treats is like a hub level. So, what do you say? Also, I can not stream until I get a better PC or I will experience lag on both the stream and gameplay.
List of episodes that are confirmed: show
  • Valtteri Island III
  • Best of Contest
  • 2.0 Character test stages
List of episodes I suggest adding: show
  • Tower of Bias I
  • Tower of Bias II
  • Tower of Bias III
  • Tower of Bias IV
  • Tower of Bias V
  • Tower of Bias VI
  • Tower of Bias VII
  • Tower of Bias VIII
  • Tower of Bias IX
  • Tower of Bias X
  • Airship Attack
What do you say? Also, I think anyone who can stream should also be able to join. If anyone wants to, they can join in as well. Afterward, someone like bossedit8 (just a suggestion) could edit them to be in the same video and port it to Youtube.
List of people that were mentioned in this message: show
bossedit8 wrote:Ping
PaperPlayerX wrote:Ping

ImageImageImage

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Sounds to easy. I am going to make a backup then since I have over 40 episodes in my 2.0 worlds folder, as well as the 24+ contests that I have judged in the last year or two. I also have every Tower of Biased, and yeah. I am removing every level that ends the game since that is just cheap. (Or just remove the game ending event and change it to showing a SMB3 star.) What about the rules of the extra challenge? Which do we use? I think we should do this. I think we each add 11 episodes each, and up to three episodes per person who posts in this thread with a list. My list would be Tower of Bias 1-10 (Collection pretty much) and Airship Attack (Which I know you have). To remove a level from Mario challenge, you can just put three warps from the level into another level so it treats is like a hub level. So, what do you say? Also, I can not stream until I get a better PC or I will experience lag on both the stream and gameplay.
My thought process behind the game-finishing levels was that the race would be a race to the finish, that is, whoever beats a game-ending level first would win (because that's the only way you can beat infinite stages), or whoever doesn't game over.

As for your suggested episodes, I agree on Airship Attack, but not necessarily the contests, mainly because they present the chance of encountering horrendous content that would waste a skip. Of course, that's not the majority, but when you have THAT many contests in there, the chances of getting weird results increases drastically.

lol what if we got enjl or sanct to shoutcast it
Steam:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:42 pm

PaperPlayerX wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Sounds to easy. I am going to make a backup then since I have over 40 episodes in my 2.0 worlds folder, as well as the 24+ contests that I have judged in the last year or two. I also have every Tower of Biased, and yeah. I am removing every level that ends the game since that is just cheap. (Or just remove the game ending event and change it to showing a SMB3 star.) What about the rules of the extra challenge? Which do we use? I think we should do this. I think we each add 11 episodes each, and up to three episodes per person who posts in this thread with a list. My list would be Tower of Bias 1-10 (Collection pretty much) and Airship Attack (Which I know you have). To remove a level from Mario challenge, you can just put three warps from the level into another level so it treats is like a hub level. So, what do you say? Also, I can not stream until I get a better PC or I will experience lag on both the stream and gameplay.
My thought process behind the game-finishing levels was that the race would be a race to the finish, that is, whoever beats a game-ending level first would win (because that's the only way you can beat infinite stages), or whoever doesn't game over.

As for your suggested episodes, I agree on Airship Attack, but not necessarily the contests, mainly because they present the chance of encountering horrendous content that would waste a skip. Of course, that's not the majority, but when you have THAT many contests in there, the chances of getting weird results increases drastically.

I mean, I think we both should add episodes though. You would also have to ping them or PM them to ask them. My thing on Game Ending levels is that they make me angry and waste a skip on those. If I am trying to go for 1000 level clears, getting a game ending level anywhere in that would be messed up, and would have to do it again. I prefer the "Who ever does not game over first" or "who has completed more levels when they game over" since that feels more skill based on not luck of the draw based. Lets say you get a game ending level as the first level, and beat it; By that, you would automatically win, and their is nothing I could do in that scenario. (Even if I would be able to complete 100s of levels. Also, should we do random characters? There is a 1/324 chance of getting of Princess Rinka where it is set to "1 hit gameover" when using her. As a result, if we do random characters, and get her, should we use a cheat to change to mario or another character?

ImageImageImage

superboss14
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: superboss14

Postby superboss14 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:52 am

nice reading. good luck with your challenge. :)

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
PaperPlayerX wrote:

I mean, I think we both should add episodes though. You would also have to ping them or PM them to ask them. My thing on Game Ending levels is that they make me angry and waste a skip on those. If I am trying to go for 1000 level clears, getting a game ending level anywhere in that would be messed up, and would have to do it again. I prefer the "Who ever does not game over first" or "who has completed more levels when they game over" since that feels more skill based on not luck of the draw based. Lets say you get a game ending level as the first level, and beat it; By that, you would automatically win, and their is nothing I could do in that scenario. (Even if I would be able to complete 100s of levels. Also, should we do random characters? There is a 1/324 chance of getting of Princess Rinka where it is set to "1 hit gameover" when using her. As a result, if we do random characters, and get her, should we use a cheat to change to mario or another character?
Wait, do game ending events end the mario challenge?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:21 pm

King of Eterity wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
PaperPlayerX wrote:

Wait, do game ending events end the mario challenge?
Yes, they do. They make you instantly quite the challenge, and you do not see your stats. as a result, I would hope to remove them in the run.

ImageImageImage

andre43
Goomba
Goomba

Postby andre43 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:22 am

Yes, they do. They make you instantly quite the challenge, and you do not see your stats.

Return to “General”