A Big Problem With this Site

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Novarender
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Hi
Current Project: MMX (Mario Maker X) -> including [Super Mario 64X], [Super Mario Universe], [Super Mario Acclivity]
Chat Username: Novarender

A Big Problem With this Site

Postby Novarender » Sun May 20, 2018 10:04 am

If there's one thing I hate about this website other than the search, it's the fact that you can't download things straight from the site. To download anything on here, I have to go to an external site, which is not only annoying but sometimes infuriating because I can't always download things from those sites. It will just say "failed to download" or "an error occurred" and this happens to most of everything I try to download, not just some. All of this would be made so much easier if there was an "upload file" option to make it available for others to download straight from the site, and we wouldn't have to find all these external sites to put our downloads anymore.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

Ten points to you if you can figure out what my name is.

Look, I'm not telling you what to do but STOP READING THIS SENTENCE

Hagrid: "You're a wizard, Harry!"
Harry: "You're a hairy wizard!"

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Re: A Big Problem With this Site

Postby Electriking » Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 am

Not possible.The closest solution would be to upload to dropbox and change the 0 at the of the download links to 1 (which causes files to be downloaded without visiting the site). But you can't force everyone to switch so...

And how would that solve the problem of your files failing to download? The solution is to get better internet or a better PC (depending on which is the cause of the problem).
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Novarender
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: MMX (Mario Maker X) -> including [Super Mario 64X], [Super Mario Universe], [Super Mario Acclivity]

Postby Novarender » Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 am
Not possible.The closest solution would be to upload to dropbox and change the 0 at the of the download links to 1 (which causes files to be downloaded without visiting the site). But you can't force everyone to switch so...

And how would that solve the problem of your files failing to download? The solution is to get better internet or a better PC (depending on which is the cause of the problem).
Well I think the problem is that my browser doesn't like some of these sites or something, which I don't know if I can fix. I am going to switch to Google though and that will probably solve the problem, but it won't make it any more convenient.

Is the problem that it is too hard to upload files? We can already use images so maybe files aren't too far of a stretch? They could be stored as cookies maybe but I'm not that experienced with uploading. They would have to be stored on the site's server, wouldn't they? And you can't do that can you? That's probably the problem. (?)

But now that I think about it, I'm sure you could store them the same way you store anything else. It could be stored just like an image but of a bigger file size, and then use it in a way that you can use the download attribute on it so you could download it.

Anyways, even if none of this works, maybe the site could have a download function that automatically redirects you to a different site where you could put it.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Images aren't uploaded to the site itself. They're uploaded to places like Imgur and also just linked, however BBCode tags allow you to set the images to appear. Also images as cookies won't work. Usually sites like Dropbox and MediaFire which are used for most file uploads (Google Drive too) won't cause you any problems on a reasonable browser. Which one are you using now?

Novarender
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Novarender » Wed May 23, 2018 5:45 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 pm
Images aren't uploaded to the site itself. They're uploaded to places like Imgur and also just linked, however BBCode tags allow you to set the images to appear. Also images as cookies won't work. Usually sites like Dropbox and MediaFire which are used for most file uploads (Google Drive too) won't cause you any problems on a reasonable browser. Which one are you using now?

Edge, but I've recently realized that it's terrible (sometimes). On some sites more often than others, it will randomly refuse to download something no matter how hard I try. But if I come back a week later, I can download it usually. It's just acting really strange for some reason and I don't think Google will have the same problem.

I see what you mean now about how it works. Do you think you could find a way to spread that information more about instant downloading through a link? I've never seen it done on here. Maybe it could also be possible to use something like the download icon on the home page of this site, but as an instant download.

Return to “Help and Support”