Why I dislike the Switch

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Devan2002
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Legend of Zelda X
Chat Username: Devan2002

Why I dislike the Switch

Postby Devan2002 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:03 am

I don't want to hear hate speeches about the following castle of words in this spoiler.
Spoiler: show
Originally when I heard the Switch was coming out March 3rd, 2017. I had a lack of interest, despite the fact I never knew people disliked the Wii U. Honestly, I enjoyed the Wii U as much as the Wii, sure, you couldn't take the Wii U to public, but I was a type of person who didn't have a need to leave the house. The concept of having two separate screens for the Wii U was amazing, I did own a Nintendo DS and enjoyed the concept. Super Mario 3D World was a blast, despite never beating Champion's Road or the final mystery box frenzy. I also enjoyed the new toys called Amiibos, figures that can unlock special content like costumes in Mario Maker, Mii outfits in Mario Kart 8, and even allow for you to battle a fighter that learns as it plays in Smash 4.

Anyways, onto my hatred on the Switch. I saw it as a knockoff of the Wii U. I had seen that they were releasing a new game called Super Mario Odyssey, which was just based around hats, HATS! The whole idea of capturing an enemy and controlling them didn't exactly grasp my attention much. Not only that, but seeing Mario among a bunch of "humans" just didn't feel right.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at first glance to me looking like a complete port of Mario Kart 8. I originally thought this:
Devan2002 wrote:They basically ripped off themself! What were they thinking?!
Breath of the Wild (which I didn't know was on the Wii U at first) seemed like those boring games where all you do is just explore, I preferred the original games where you had to get items, go into dungeons, get more items, then head to Ganon. Most other games simply added in a lot of exploration that it distracts you from your original goal of defeating evil. None of the new concepts in BotW never got my attention either.

Splatoon 2 was full of interest as I had with the original Splatoon (I had no interest).

I didn't like fortnite when it was released on PCs, Macs, etc. But I was pissed to see them put it on the switch as well. That's basically overrated².

After I found out that people thought the Wii U was barely worse than the Virtual Boy, I got pissed and decided I would never devote any time to the Switch (note, if there's a game I'm interested that's also ported to the Switch, I would only play the version that is not the Switch version (e.g. Puyo Puyo Tetris which was released for the PS4, and Minecraft which was ported to nearly everything, including the Switch)).

Not only that, but I started to hate the fact that the Wii U has been having their games ported to the Switch (CT:TT, BotW, and soon NSMBU)! This is what I originally thought once I saw this:
Devan2002 wrote:Nintendo has officially stuck their head into the toilet, and it almost seems like they're not stopping there, but are going to stick their nose into the pipe of the toilet.
So this shows that no matter what "cool" shit is going to the Switch, I will always prefer the Wii U over it. Even if my Wii U has a cracked screen or even no Wifi, I will still keep using it. Hell, not even if the fucking console breaks! If I can still use it, I will.
Last edited by Devan2002 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's kinda sad to see that there aren't many episodes based on Link being the main protagonist. Hopefully I can see more in the future, because LoZ was one of my favorite franchises. ;)

You can always give me ideas on my projects, so don't hold them in.

I am the nerd of video games. :ugeek:
What is my life: show
Supported Projects: show
ImageImage
I support these projects. :mrgreen:
Also, have an adorable image of Budew.
Legend of Zelda X: My project: show

Electriking
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here.
Current Project: Not Mushroom Kingdom Massacre ATM
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Re: Why I dislike the Switch

Postby Electriking » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:37 am

I am searching hard for any trace of validity in this. So far, nothing.
Join my Discord server
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
Horikawa Otane wrote:lol
thehelmetguy1 wrote:I wonder who was the idiot that made the fake beta 4 announcement
Enjl wrote:Apologies for knowing how to research.
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.
Literally me when I read that post lol
The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?
WARNING: Quill is in here: show

PixelPest
Edward
Edward
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:55 am

Basically what I read is "Switch is bad because they port games to it", which people may not have had access to or played before, or really like and can now play on their new console. I'm very confused how this makes any sense whatsoever

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: -chan ^^

Postby Enjl » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 am

There are two reasons for the abundancy of ports.
Firstly, the switch is the first console that can provide console-quality games on a handheld system (beside the PS Vita which suffered from its library just being the home console's library but worse so you'd have to buy the same game twice to play it on the go iirc).
Secondly, it has already surpassed the WiiU in sales a year ago:
The WiiU failed due to poor marketing and a gimmick that rarely got good use outside of standout examples like Super Mario Maker. Due to these facts, many people never had a lot of interest in it or didn't realise that it was a new console. Ports give people who missed out on that console's games a chance to play them on the newer, more popular console. And by creating a new market the Switch is drawing in more customers than the WiiU ever could.

Most of the issues you seem to be taking with the system seem to be more targeted at its game library not appealing to you in particular, which is completely fair, but I wouldn't write off an entire system as a knockoff simply because some titles it has don't appeal to you.
For the Switch to be a knockoff of the WiiU, don't you think it would need to also have the gamepad gimmick? I see it more as what the WiiU TRIED to be but couldn't. A continuation of the concept of evolving home entertainment and merging handheld and home console done properly.

None of this is to be taken maliciously against your opinion. See it more as trying to fill in the bigger picture you seem to be overlooking in your anger. As a Nintendo fan it's NOT required of you to purchase every game or console they put out, but you can skip out on games and consoles without getting unreasonably upset over statistical figures or the opinions of other people. Getting upset at these is just childish.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

Aristo
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: kind and devoted and loving friend to all
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:05 pm

I don't understand why you're making a thread on this if you don't want to hear other people's opinions on what you have to say.
It takes effort to not accidentally become a cult.

MarioRPGExpert93
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: Plays mostly classical Nintendo & SEGA games! ^_^"
Current Project: Saving up for a Windows 10 laptop irl! + Sega Mega Drive style sprites & graphics
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby MarioRPGExpert93 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:11 pm

The few criticism i heard on the Switch is that there's so many indie games on it. and that's from the people I'm friends with on Twitter

Mario RPGs I owned: 08/12

Main Goals in Mario RPGs (04/12 goals accomplished): show
  • Complete Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Master all Bros. Attacks in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
  • Collect all 256 cards in Super Paper Mario
  • 100% Paper Mario 64
  • Complete Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Finish Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story in under 24 hours worth of playtime
  • Complete Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Deathless, and NO LIFE SHROOMS!
  • Play through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in a BP only run
Current amount of money till i get a new Windows 10 Laptop: $698.00
My Sprite Art
My Main YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My 2nd YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
TSR/VG Resource/MFGG: PaperWilliam
I have Autism & ADHD. OG 90's kid who's born in 93! 8-)
Stuff I 100% Support: show

Return to “Video Games”