Is it a good idea to advance technology?

Off-topic discussion.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Electriking
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here.
Current Project: Not Mushroom Kingdom Massacre ATM
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Is it a good idea to advance technology?

Postby Electriking » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Unless you have been living under a rock all your life, then you will be aware that technology is advancing, and the rate that it is advancing is exponential, to the point that in 2021, some scientists have predicted that there will be more discoveries and inventions made than in the entire rest of human history and in just a couple of decades from now, there may exist AI more intelligent than actual humans, which could result in unprecedented consequences for humanity and the rest of the world. But already it seems we are starting to the scary side of technology.

Robots are starting to replace low skill jobs, with higher skill jobs likely to be replaced after. It could inflate unemployment rates but bear in mind that if you are still at school or in another form of education, there is a good chance that the job you will have does not even exist yet. But there are other ways in which technology could be used to make our lives a living hell.

Will governments and corporations use technology like drones and possibly inncent looking devices we willing install in our homes, so that the final remnants of our privacy are lost down the drain for good? Maybe terrifying new weaons are developed, or scientists develope a new super virus which they release, either accidentally or not, to wipe out humanity and life on earth?

Do we want to improve technology, or are we going too far and it is no longer an improvement? Should we slow down, stagnate or even reverse the development of technology so we can avoid the problems, or would we miss out on too many benefits that we let it continue and we either accept or minimise the the bad stuff could come from, and hope for the best?

What is your opinion on the prospects of what advanced technology?
Join my Discord server
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
Horikawa Otane wrote:lol
thehelmetguy1 wrote:I wonder who was the idiot that made the fake beta 4 announcement
Enjl wrote:Apologies for knowing how to research.
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.
Literally me when I read that post lol
The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?
WARNING: Quill is in here: show

GhostHawk
Flair: how to get a gf using LOGIC
Chat Username: Aero

Re: Is it a good idea to advance technology?

Postby GhostHawk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:26 pm

We won't need jobs where we're going.

*sip* Don't talk to me until I've had my morning coffee.

MarioRPGExpert93
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: GB/GBC/GBA collector! ^_^
Current Project: Saving up for a Windows 10 laptop irl! + Sega Mega Drive style sprites & graphics
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby MarioRPGExpert93 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:34 pm

I'd say it would be a Shitty idea to advance technology in my opinion, especially for the video game technologies!

The advances in the video game side of technology is just obeying the needs & wants of kids of this generation & the Millennial generation*, which is very low imo for 2 reasons:
  • Making the current-gen games in 4K Ultra HD just doesn't make the game any better
  • Most of the popular non-Nintendo games are being played by freaking young kids & people from the Millennial generation, (Like CoD, Overrated af Watch, Battlefield, etc.)
*I'm a millennial myself, except i rather stick to video game technologies from the 80's-mid 2000's.
Main Goals in Mario RPGs (04/11 goals accomplished): show
  • Complete Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Collect all 256 cards in Super Paper Mario
  • 100% Paper Mario 64
  • Complete Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Finish Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story in under 24 hours worth of playtime
  • Complete Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, No Deaths, and NO LIFE SHROOMS!
  • Play through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in a BP only run
Current amount of money till i get a new 1 TB Windows 10 Laptop: $792.00
My DeviantArt
My Main YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My 2nd YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My Twitter (keep dreaming, I'll never tweet anything fan game related tweets!)
TSR/VG Resource/MFGG: PaperWilliam
I have Autism & ADHD. OG 90's kid who's born in late 93! 8-)
Stuff I 100% Support: show

PixelPest
Edward
Edward
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:48 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:34 pm
I'd say it would be a Shitty idea to advance technology in my opinion, especially for the video game technologies!

The advances in the video game side of technology is just obeying the needs & wants of kids of this generation & the Millennial generation*, which is very low imo for 2 reasons:
  • Making the current-gen games in 4K Ultra HD just doesn't make the game any better
  • Most of the popular non-Nintendo games are being played by freaking young kids & people from the Millennial generation, (Like CoD, Overrated af Watch, Battlefield, etc.)
*I'm a millennial myself, except i rather stick to video game technologies from the 80's-mid 2000's.
But catering to the current audience's interest is how companies can actually make money...

Eri7
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Well here is the thing, its an unavoidable paradox. We can't say no to advancing to a better technology and we are not sure yet if that is going to be a good thing considering all the speculations of what could happen and how many risks it could involve for humanity. If its indeed a paradox, it will end sooner or later in a bad way which might force us to start over in another cycle or end forever.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.

I support:

GhostHawk

Postby GhostHawk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:04 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:34 pm

I couldn't agree with this post more.
Eri7 wrote: Well here is the thing, its an unavoidable paradox. We can't say no to advancing to a better technology and we are not sure yet if that is going to be a good thing considering all the speculations of what could happen and how many risks it could involve for humanity. If its indeed a paradox, it will end sooner or later in a bad way which might force us to start over in another cycle or end forever.
We've had the means to end the world for all life on Earth since the 1960s. That's already here. The question will be how well people understand their technological capabilities in order to keep control of them.

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Technology is a tool. It can be used for good, and it can be used for evil (even unintentionally). We should continue to advance technology, but we have to be educated in the dangers that could happen if it's used inappropriately.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

Chorpe
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: Do you see it?

Postby Chorpe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 am

Advancing technology is something you can't just stop. It always progresses, so deal with it. (It can stop but only some kind of apocalypse would cause it to happen) As for me, im excited about new techonologies.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:17 pm

We must advance technology to the point of transhumanity in my opinion. We should try to reach the point when we can safely live in places outside of Earth (not just satellites in a 1-million mile radius, but much further) and that our lifespan and life quality (better health conditions, more free time, more opportunities to have fun, etc)
The things we have to watch out for is technology not getting in the wrong hands or if AI gains more independence than it should.
But I personally wouldn't even mind transhumanity as long as it doesn't cause the loss of individual.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:17 pm
But I personally wouldn't even mind transhumanity as long as it doesn't cause the loss of individual.
Technically, people have died from technology (electric shocks, fire, mechanisms killing etc.) but idk if they have specifically from AI.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm
ShadowStarX wrote:
Technically, people have died from technology (electric shocks, fire, mechanisms killing etc.) but idk if they have specifically from AI.
By the loss of individual I meant industrial cloning and loss and things such like that, not death. (so a self-conscious cybord or a designer baby could work but industrially "producing" humans can't)
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
We must advance technology to the point of transhumanity in my opinion. We should try to reach the point when we can safely live in places outside of Earth (not just satellites in a 1-million mile radius, but much further) and that our lifespan and life quality (better health conditions, more free time, more opportunities to have fun, etc)
Oh and forgot to mention - before we decide to go out exploring the vast reaches of space to colonise new planets, we need to work on fixing Earth as much as possible. Otherwise, we'll just end up making the same mistakes again and every planet we colonise will just end up like this one.
We need to:
Find a way to not harm other species on a major scale just for our own resources;
Develop a carbon free, renewable energy source that can work on a large scale;
Reduce global warming;
Reduce war and hate in society.
There is much more we need to do though but the list goes on.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

Eri7
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:31 pm

I doubt people would be bothered to start fixing the Earth. The way i see it is that we are getting closer to making Earth a harsher place to live in and if politicians decide to not do something about that, something bad could happen soon.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.

I support:

GhostHawk

Postby GhostHawk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:32 pm

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in “advanced” countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world. The continued development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased physical suffering even in “advanced” countries.

The industrial-technological system may survive or it may break down. If it survives, it MAY eventually achieve a low level of physical and psychological suffering, but only after passing through a long and very painful period of adjustment and only at the cost of permanently reducing human beings and many other living organisms to engineered products and mere cogs in the social machine. Furthermore, if the system survives, the consequences will be inevitable: There is no way of reforming or modifying the system so as to prevent it from depriving people of dignity and autonomy.

If the system breaks down the consequences will still be very painful. But the bigger the system grows the more disastrous the results of its breakdown will be, so if it is to break down it had best break down sooner rather than later.
Thoughts on this?

Return to “Sandbox”