Super Mario Maker 2: How do you feel about the SMM2 direct?

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Re: Super Mario Maker 2: How do you feel about the SMM2 direct?

Postby Taycamgame » Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 pm

The direct was incredible. So many new features got confirmed while others were announced, such as story mode, vs multiplayer and more. The new features for level editing such as win conditions, new items and VERTICAL LEVELS(!) will be extremely useful to play with.
There's a bunch of details you may have missed, so go check out Gamexplain's videos discussing subtle things in detail, if you haven't already.
Also, we may have confirmation that there will be new themes released post-launch; in one of the scenes we can see the game style menu, with 3d world in a different section "Extra Game Styles". This hints at more to come; why else would they put a single theme in a separate category? I extremely doubt any new themes will be here at launch and don't think they will be free of charge (so paid DLC), but things are certainly looking good!

42 days left, we started this long wait with 135 days - this means we are over 2 thirds of the way there; it seems like a long time to go still, but it won't be that long in reality.
Also, if you want to make level editing easier for yourself, consider pre-ordering the game. This will get you a free Super Mario Maker 2 stylus (which looks pretty cool btw). I'm not sure if you can get it if you don't pre-order, so act fast.

So, SMM2 Direct was absolutely amazing. We got everything we wanted plus so much more; and I, myself, am certainly looking forward to getting this day 1.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Fri May 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 pm
Also, we may have confirmation that there will be new themes released post-launch; in one of the scenes we can see the game style menu, with 3d world in a different section "Extra Game Styles". This hints at more to come; why else would they put a single theme in a separate category? I extremely doubt any new themes will be here at launch and don't think they will be free of charge (so paid DLC), but things are certainly looking good!
The reason for being separated is because switching between 3D and the other themes deletes your level, so it needs to be made separate to indicate that. Although the empty slot does look awkward, so hopefully more themes come (like SMB2). Although hiding new tools and features behind a pay wall would be very dumb, like worse than hiding them behind stupid maths minigames.
Signatures are overrated.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Fri May 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Electriking wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:49 pm
Taycamgame wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 pm
The reason for being separated is because switching between 3D and the other themes deletes your level, so it needs to be made separate to indicate that. Although the empty slot does look awkward, so hopefully more themes come (like SMB2). Although hiding new tools and features behind a pay wall would be very dumb, like worse than hiding them behind stupid maths minigames.
Thing about the 3D World style is that if it was the only extra style then i would have thought they'd put it in the centre of the menu rather than the left side.
I agree that the pay wall is a stupid idea, but they've done it before (needing to buy amiibos to quickly unlock costumes without needing to wait, or buying those mario amiibos to unlock mega mushroom). It would make more sense this time around if it was something better, though i really hope this isn't the case as i wouldn't really like to spend more money on tool packs, for example.

BTW, i'm slightly disappointed that vertical levels are only available in sub areas (atleast this is what we know so far, it may be changed in future), but then again, i can't really think of a situation where you need both sections to be vertical, especially as you can have scroll stop.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:03 pm
Thing about the 3D World style is that if it was the only extra style then i would have thought they'd put it in the centre of the menu rather than the left side.
They wouldn't do that cause that'd look ugly.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

computerfan0
Rex
Rex
Flair: Whiny kid
Current Project: Super Fortnite bros.

Postby computerfan0 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:22 pm

I saw the direct and am a little annoyed that they don't seem to want to make versions of the SM3DW stuff for the other styles. Imagine a level in SMW style with Piranha Creepers, Ant Troopers and the new Koopa Car. SMBX2 staff, listen up.
(GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
https://backloggery.com/computerfan0
computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 21125827641 8:11 pm
quoting myself, why

Scroll
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: :squint:
Current Project: I'm not a spoiler :v
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I can already think about the insane kaizo levels that the people will release with the lots of mechanics that are going to be added
Electriking wrote:Signatures are overrated.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 pm

computerfan0 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:22 pm
I saw the direct and am a little annoyed that they don't seem to want to make versions of the SM3DW stuff for the other styles. Imagine a level in SMW style with Piranha Creepers, Ant Troopers and the new Koopa Car. SMBX2 staff, listen up.
Mutant vine, spike top, snailicorn. Get going.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!
Current Project: something idk
Chat Username: *practical

Postby Rhosty » Fri May 17, 2019 3:58 pm

Scroll wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 pm
I can already think about the insane kaizo levels that the people will release with the lots of mechanics that are going to be added
It'll be hilarious watching people on youtube rage quit levels that are to hard for them

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 pm

I would go and pre-purchase Super Mario Maker 2 on the eshop, but I'm kinda tight on cash atm..... So I might be missing out imo

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!
Current Project: something idk
Chat Username: *practical

Postby Rhosty » Sat May 18, 2019 12:11 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 pm
I would go and pre-purchase Super Mario Maker 2 on the eshop, but I'm kinda tight on cash atm..... So I might be missing out imo
I won't be able to get it any time soon either

cato
Rex
Rex
Chat Username: cato

Postby cato » Sat May 18, 2019 12:39 am

Cedur wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 pm
(I'd say 9 year olds have nothing to lose in such an environment, whether there's a dislike button or not)

anyway the influence of dislike trolling and abuse is far far higher than say on Youtube (where likes do outweigh some troll dislikes by far)
I think Nintendo should have a team that constantly play those poor levels to actually consider whether those level really deserve the dislikes. IMO

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Postby Super Luigi! » Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Hopefully, the new point system works better than the medals from the first Super Mario Maker, even though the medals appear to still be there.
Projects I support:
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue May 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah, I'm going to just stick to SMBX 2.0 until it dies out.... Because I recently heard on Twitter that Super Mario Maker 2 doesn't allow you to play levels online with friends via (Nintendo Switch Online), just with random players.

MegaDood
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Tue May 28, 2019 11:51 pm

Does anyone actually think Nintendo will ever add Chargin' Chucks to SMM2 or in an update? Also were Boomerang Bros announced at all, or just Fire Bros?
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Return to “Video Games”