Unsatisfied with my own levels

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Natsu
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Kuma-san

Unsatisfied with my own levels

Postby Natsu » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 am

You're working on your project, working on some levels, and you're close to finishing one of them, only to think to yourself "this isn't fun"? By this, I don't mean creating the level, but the end result. Sort of feels stale, uninteresting, boring. I actually do feel this way, and I keep telling myself that for the sake of the plot within the episode itself I need to make levels that make sense, and not throw the player into random scenarios because lol random = good.

My point is, making a fun game while keeping the player entertained is hard! Very much so, and I don't remember having this much trouble before. Maybe my design plan isn't good enough? Who knows, I'm saving further judgment until I release a demo.

So, has this ever happened to you?
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

MegaDood
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: Unsatisfied with my own levels

Postby MegaDood » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:18 am

I can relate to this very much. I feel like it's some form of burnout. If I were you, I would take a break from SMBX for a bit to play some other things, maybe play some of the mainline Mario games and take notes on what parts are fun so you can apply them to your own project.

If you don't want to do that, you could possibly make the best you can and still upload it, make sure you mention how you don't feel satisfied with it so they know it's not up to standard, and ask for feedback for the level. You could then use this feedback to try and find common complaints to review the level and others as well.

Or the last thing to do is to play some platformer games and find interesting gimmicks or mechanics about a level or section, and maybe make a level based around this concept.
Good luck with this, and I hope you can get through this burnout.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Eri7
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A) + ????
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 am

I used to have this problem before but after learning about blocking, i have the ability to make my levels fun to play and with the constant feedback from my beta testers and supporters, its even more easier to make my levels fun to play. But now i lost the ability to make simple nintendo levels so every level i made now HAS to involve blocking. But yeah, making fun levels is hard but if you know the basics and you know how gimmicks work and how to explore their interactions, then making fun levels won't be that hard.

I support:

FireyPaperMario
Mario
Mario
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:00 am

Yes, I was always dissatisfied with my SMBX levels. Which is why I never release them in the past

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:12 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 am
But now i lost the ability to make simple nintendo levels so every level i made now HAS to involve blocking
Nintendo blocks their levels, and their levels aren't simple...

In either case, watch this if you haven't already. Might help cast a light on what Nintendo does to keep their levels fun, and maybe you can adapt some of those ideas into your own style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHcE6B4OP4
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DrMekar
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence
Chat Username: DrMekar

Postby DrMekar » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 am

I can relate to that alot aswell, otherwise SMBXDM The Lost Levels wouldn't exist, which was my first Complenation of the Best Levels from Scrapped Games.

Two Major Points of that in my SMBX History were The Toads Adventure Series and First Version of MH2. I'll start with Toads Adventure. Toads Adventure 1 we're my first ever completed Game I made, because I didn't wanted to make Mario the Hero, but hadn't Ideas or anythink similair back then for own Characters (And Now I've a own Mario/SMBX Universe xD) so I took Toad. It was actually not so bad for a very beginner. (I'll continue later)
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

Current Project: Mario Heroes 2: The Seal of Darkness

Last Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter

Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:30 pm

I've felt that in both SMBX and Mario Maker. It feels like the more standards and guidelines you have to remember design wise, the more you have to put in extra effort to make something feel inspired and not just making something for the sake of it. I was tasked with making a Saturday blind kaizo race level for Mario Maker at one point and it took 6-7 iterations before the level met the standards of the level testers. It started to get frustrating by the third or fourth version that got rejected, but the advice I got ended up making it one of my favorite levels I've made. Sometimes you just get a block and other people testing it can really help with that if you're feeling like it's not enough fun.

Chorpe
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: <3

Postby Chorpe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 am

Well yeah, it happens quite often. But sometimes i feel proud of my work.. At least until i notice that something is wrong.
There is nothing interesting here to see.

VanillaDude
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I always delay a lot while looking for an avatar
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite
Chat Username: Surtur#6292

Postby VanillaDude » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Chorpe wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 am
But sometimes i feel proud of my work.. At least until i notice that something is wrong.
In my case, I try to fix that and then I feel even more proud lol

Natsu
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Kuma-san

Postby Natsu » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:45 am

I can finally say I'm proud of something I made thanks to my newest level. You can find a video of it in SMBX Videos. Also, thanks Enjl. That video did help.
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

Return to “General”