Warping to next level problems

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
UltraAndio
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: UltraAndio

Warping to next level problems

Postby UltraAndio » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:12 pm

If I have a game with no world map, and just have it to where the end of one level warps to the next, I encounter an issue (when playing in the actual game, not just the level test) where, although it successfully warps to the starting location of the next level, if I happen to die in that next level (even if I hit the halfway checkpoint thingy), on my next life I revert back to the very end of the previous level, right before the warp (when he starts you see the animation of him basically coming out of an invisible pipe near the exit). I mean in reality it's not a huge deal since being at the end of the previous level is essentially almost the same as being at the start of the one I want him to be at, but it could get confusing or annoying for a player, and the checkpoint not working is a problem.

On my Editor, for the first level I have Warp to Level checked, I specify the name of the level with .lvl after, and use Normal Entrance to indicate he starts at what would be the usual starting place for that level. I also have the separate box of Level Exit (Ends the Level) checked, although I'm not sure how those two functions interact, or if they're in fact mutually exclusive. I read on the Editor guide that warping to a level essentially leaves the level "unfinished"... so could that be what is causing my issue? But I have Level Exit on...

Any ideas? This is probably a common noobish question but whatever. I appreciate it.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Warping to next level problems

Postby Enjl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:15 am

Smbx always considers the first loaded level in a hub episode the "hub", so that level will always be the restoration point after deaths. "restart last level on death" may fix it for one level, but if you die 5 levels into a chain you will still respawn at the first, since a "level", as far as the game is concerned, starts when leaving the hub.
The ABC of Creation

UltraAndio
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: UltraAndio

Re: Warping to next level problems

Postby UltraAndio » Wed May 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Ah, I get it. So you either need to have a hub level or a world map. You can't just plain have a series of levels without anything in between.

Return to “Help and Support”