Which version should I use?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
WarCanine-
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Chat Username: WarCanine

Which version should I use?

Postby WarCanine- » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi, I'm really sorry if this is a common question. I tried to make a quick search and couldn't find any similar threads.
I've been using SMBX for like 6 years and have never updated it. I've abandoned my episode I had been working on for years, but now I'm looking to start over and make a new one. However it seems that I missed out on some updates.
Before I start making a new episode, which exact version should I use? I'm interested in the version most people use.
Whichever one it is, is it easy to use and learn compared to the old SMBX editor?
Thanks in advance.

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff
Current Project: Sam Lev Boss Rush 5

Re: Which version should I use?

Postby sammerbro » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:27 pm

If you ever come back to read this, you should use 1.4 or SMBX2.
However, they both require learning.

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:09 pm

To clarify because the current response is really unclear:

SMBX2 is a continuation project of SMBX made by members of the community. It greatly expands functionality existing in SMBX 1.3 (the last version released by Redigit, the existing creator) and adds a lot of new features.

38A (sometimes called 1.4) is a completely different program. It's made to look very similar to SMBX, but it is in no way the same program as the one you've used previously. It is completely different, and has issues with backwards compatibility because of this.

SMBX2 is generally considered the "official" continuation, since it builds on the original program, while 38A is more of a spinoff program.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:09 pm

SMBX2 is a continuation project of SMBX made by members of the community. It greatly expands functionality existing in SMBX 1.3 (the last version released by Redigit, the existing creator) and adds a lot of new features.

38A (sometimes called 1.4) is a completely different program. It's made to look very similar to SMBX, but it is in no way the same program as the one you've used previously. It is completely different, and has issues with backwards compatibility because of this.

SMBX2 is generally considered the "official" continuation, since it builds on the original program, while 38A is more of a spinoff program.
Still wondering what's the last update, is the beta 3? or SLM?
Is SLM supposed to be a preview of beta 4?

My project:

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:18 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:14 pm
Hoeloe wrote:

What's SLM?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:18 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:

What's SLM?
I meant SLAM

My project:

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 pm
Electriking wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:18 pm
PopYoshi wrote:

What's SLM?
I meant SLAM
That is a collab project, not a version of SMBX.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

WarCanine-
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby WarCanine- » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:30 am

sammerbro wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:27 pm
Of course I'll come back!
How hard is it to learn? Is it a lot different compared to what I use now, like events, using custom graphics, etc.?
Hoeloe wrote:

Mmmn, yes, I see. I think I downloaded 1.4 a longer time ago and had trouble getting used to it. Despite that, I still want to use the most popular version so it can be played by most people, well unless I really like SMBX2 in comparison to 1.4. What do most people use on this site? I'm not sure where else I could share my episode anyway.

Thanks for everyone's answers.

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff
Current Project: Sam Lev Boss Rush 5

Postby sammerbro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:43 am

WarCanine- wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:30 am
sammerbro wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:27 pm
Of course I'll come back!
How hard is it to learn? Is it a lot different compared to what I use now, like events, using custom graphics, etc.?
Hoeloe wrote:

Mmmn, yes, I see. I think I downloaded 1.4 a longer time ago and had trouble getting used to it. Despite that, I still want to use the most popular version so it can be played by most people, well unless I really like SMBX2 in comparison to 1.4. What do most people use on this site? I'm not sure where else I could share my episode anyway.

Thanks for everyone's answers.
SMBX2 is most popular.
1.4's editor is very hard to learn, however there's some level editor showcase videos that might help you. X2's editor is more user-friendly, however can still be hard for first-time X2 users.

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:45 am

PopYoshi wrote:
The most recent version is SMBX2 PAL, which you can download from http://codehaus.moe

And, as has been said, most people on this forum use SMBX2.

WarCanine-
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby WarCanine- » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks everyone for their help. I'll try to use SMBX2 from now on. It probably takes some time to get used to.

Return to “Help and Support”