Ball 'n' Chain problem

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
CJK
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Ball 'n' Chain problem

Postby CJK » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:38 pm

I downloaded Red Yoshi's Ball 'n' Chain graphics and respective NPC configs from the Community Graphics Pack but I'm struggling with how to implement it correctly into my level. The chains circle around just like a normal Fire Bar would, but the Ball (the part that actually does damage) is left behind and remains immobile. Strictly speaking, how do I get that to move along with the chain? I downloaded the demo level for that NPC and it seems to work perfectly there but when I copy+paste into my level (obviously as different layers) it doesn't.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong since my copy of the Ball 'n' Chain appears to be identical to the ones in the Demo level. Is there some additional thing I need to do in order to get the ball to move? I couldn't find any instructions in the pack itself. Thanks in advance.

FirestarPlays
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Super Mario and the Plague of Valerius, Firestar's GFX Pack
Chat Username: Firestar

Re: Ball 'n' Chain problem

Postby FirestarPlays » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:31 pm

1. Put the chain NPCs on a layer, preferably call it 'chain'
2. Attach the ball to layer 'chain'
3. ???
4. Enjoy your new enemy!

CJK
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby CJK » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:09 pm

I tried the steps, but the ball is still left behind for some reason. I don't know why...

Just for the record, here are the steps I took:

1. Downloaded Ball n Chain assets from the OneDrive community graphics page
2. Moved them into the folder for this castle level
3. Built the NPC using the Chain NPC (replacing fire bar), the Ball (replacing a "Vertical Airship Propeller" BGO), and an invisible NPC to hurt the player (which replaces a Piranha Plant from one of the games).
4. Set all objects in the NPC to layer "Chain".

I wonder what I did wrong.

Added in 3 minutes 48 seconds:
Hold on, you mentioned "Attach to" instead of "Set as". Let me try that.

Added in 5 minutes 38 seconds:
OK, it works now. Thanks!

King Mario
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Chat Username: Guardian

Postby King Mario » Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm trying to use this for something that I'm making. I'm trying to use the Ball n Chain for Beta 4 (Red Yoshi's). I converted the GIFs to PNGs and set the Layers correctly. I set up the correct firebar positions for the chain. The ball is attached to the chain, but the chain keeps moving in a wavy direction instead of around the block like it's supposed to. I'm sick and tired of this happening, so do you know a way to fix this problem?

Return to “Help and Support”