GhostHawk
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Aero

Visual Super Mario Bros. X (VSMBX) Thread [DISCONTINUED]

Postby GhostHawk » Tue May 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Let's start with a Q&A:

Spoiler: show
Q: Why does it look the same after a year?

A: Looks are deceiving. I had to restart the project, and I have since rebuilt VSMBX back to its previous state to just before I lost access to it.

Q: Do you still need to click every time you place a block?

A: Nope, you can click and drag to place as many tiles as you like.

Q: What's with the scrollbars?

A: Instead of using arrow keys to navigate the level, you can scroll right to the location of the level where you want to edit.

Q: What are those numbers doing in the Blocks window?

A: Those numbers are used to define the width and height of a sizable block without needing to click buttons multiple times or accidentally reset it like in SMBX.

Q: Why are you even bothering? These projects fail anyway.

A: Coding is my hobby, I enjoy SMBX, so I don't really care.

Q: So what else is different?

A: Masks work, sizable blocks work, you no longer draw an image for each pixel your mouse moves which is overlapped anyway, and there is an eraser for starters. I also plan to add a "Safe-Mode" check box that prevents you from filling your level on accident when using the fill tool. Instead, you will only fill the screen with the block if you mess up.

Q: What's the overall progress?

A: Check my signature. Currently I'm building the editor so I can later make levels to test game mechanics which will hopefully start before or around December.

Q: Why are you copying SMBX?

A: I figured it made more sense to have everything where everyone knows where it is. This will not be a carbon copy, as more features and content will be added as development continues.

Q: Will this be available on Mac or Linux?

A: No, not at the moment. This may change as time goes on though.

Q: Why won't the source code be available at first?

A: Mostly for name protection reasons, and to ensure official copies are being distributed.

Q: What will I need for VSMBX to work when it is available for download?

A: You will need Microsoft .NET Framework 4 installed on your computer, and the proper content used by the VSMBX editor included in the ZIP.

Q: Why is my antivirus flagging VSMBX as malicious?

A: Ensure that you are using an official version. VSMBX is for anyone to edit, but it's up to you to be careful who you get your versions from. If it is an official version, report it immediately so I can see why and fix it.

Q: What can I do to help?

A: Be a constructive member, and engage with developer groups to help VSMBX be successful! Also, you can add

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2679][img]http://s14.postimg.org/8tdd9hvwx/GH_VSMBX.png[/img][/url]
to your signature here and other forums to display: Image and show support. Credit to BMatSantos for creating the graphic!

Q: Can I be a ________?

A: No. I'll come to you, not you to me.

The goal of VSMBX is to first recreate SMBX and then add on new features and content with far more flexibility. VSMBX will be open source (starting December 25th) for everyone, and anyone to create versions of their own that fit their needs and the needs of others and share them on this forum, on the VSMBX forums at http://vsmbxforums.prophpbb.com/ where anyone you want can download. VSMBX will be primarily designed for Windows, unless if or when popular opinion gravitates to cross-platform support. You may distribute copies of VSMBX as you wish as long as proper credit is given. Suggestions are now welcome here, and in the proper topic on the VSMBX forums.

Old Screenshots:
General Tile placement: http://i.imgur.com/hsEVpiR.png
Sizable Blocks and Scrolling: http://i.imgur.com/tijhFqA.png
Erasing a few tiles: http://i.imgur.com/BqjrYWG.png

I would record these, however, I can't afford anything more than a mere potato. Sorry. :/

If I didn't answer any questions in the Q&A, feel free to leave a reply or send a PM.

VSMBX -- Discontinued

VSMBX Beta 1.0.2

Editor Download: https://www.sendspace.com/file/j56ppj

Source Download: ---

[1]You will need Visual Basic 2010 or above to access and modify the source code. Resources can be found here.
[2]To prevent further errors, libZPlay will be included with all downloads from here on.

Beta Testers
  • AeroMatter
  • Axiom
  • XerX
* Fixed Mario getting stuck in blocks when jumping.
* Fixed Mario to prevent jumping through blocks randomly.
* Removed redundant code for player animation.
* Fixed stuttering movement of Mario when moving left and right while falling.
* Fixed viewport to display bottom of level after falling.
* Fixed problem with Mario appearing in top left corner of level when selecting 'Level Settings' tab.
* Default gravity level and jump speed has been increased slightly.
* Level background now moves in relation to the player.
* Fixed problem where the player would stop falling before hitting the ground.
* Fixed problem where Mario would come to a stop when attempting to jump while moving.
* Collision now checks tiles that are visible on the screen rather than the whole level.
* Optimized gravity collision, and several other collision bugs.
* Gravity levels can now be saved and loaded.
* Fixed problem with players hitting blocks from below before actually colliding with the block.
* Run speed has been increased.
* Fixed problem with the selected block being the last block placed in the level after loading a level.
* Block preview now stays correctly aligned when moving in a level.
* NPCs window no longer shows up when selecting the "Selection" button.
* Fixed major slowdown problem with loading player image files excessively.
* Fixed problem with object preview at mouse being drawn behind foreground BGOs.
* Last selected object is no longer drawn at the mouse when selecting "Level Settings" button.
* Fixed graphic problem when trying to walk while ducking.
* Invisible blocks now disappear when testing the level.
* Fixed more scrolling problems with level backgrounds.
+ Implemented animation of each Mario state.
+ Implemented preview of what state you will be testing the level as with Mario.
+ Implemented Luigi, with animations and higher jump height than Mario.
+ Implemented Peach, with animations.
+ Implemented Toad, with animations.
+ Added object counter to the Debug window to keep track of how many objects of each type are on-screen.
+ Brightness of the level background can now be toggled in the Level Settings window.
+ Implemented feature to change color of tiles.
Last edited by GhostHawk on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I pray [this thread] doesn't rest in peace and spends the rest of forever in a restless afterlife where it cannot find the peace in which you wish it to rest" -Waddle Derp

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as 2.0, is in fact, SMBX2, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, X2. 2.0 is not an SMBX version unto itself, but rather another mislabeling of a fully applicable SMBX2 name. Many users run a modified version of SMBX every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of SMBX which is widely used today is often called “2.0”, and many of its users are not aware that it is SMBX2, developed by the SMBX2 Project. [...] 2.0 is normally used in combination with the SMBX name: the whole game is basically SMBX with 2 added, or SMBX2. All the so-called “2.0” labels are really references of SMBX2.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: Visual Super Mario Bros. X (VSMBX) Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm

If you don't plan on making this compatible with SMBX, then why are you using masks? As opposed to PNG files or transparent GIFs.

GhostHawk
Mario
Mario

Postby GhostHawk » Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Joey wrote:If you don't plan on making this compatible with SMBX, then why are you using masks? As opposed to PNG files or transparent GIFs.

It's mostly for file size, and the fact all of the content I'm using is from SMBX which uses masks. It's a bit lazy sure, but it's a lot simpler and efficient than remaking each of the graphics. I could change my mind about that though, but as of now it's easier this way.
"I pray [this thread] doesn't rest in peace and spends the rest of forever in a restless afterlife where it cannot find the peace in which you wish it to rest" -Waddle Derp

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as 2.0, is in fact, SMBX2, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, X2. 2.0 is not an SMBX version unto itself, but rather another mislabeling of a fully applicable SMBX2 name. Many users run a modified version of SMBX every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of SMBX which is widely used today is often called “2.0”, and many of its users are not aware that it is SMBX2, developed by the SMBX2 Project. [...] 2.0 is normally used in combination with the SMBX name: the whole game is basically SMBX with 2 added, or SMBX2. All the so-called “2.0” labels are really references of SMBX2.

Pseudo
Tellah
Tellah
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 21, 2014 12:01 am

So progress is actually being made on this? That's great! It'd be really cool to finally see a real successor to SMBX. I'm impressed, seriously. You're pretty great, GhostHawk.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

GhostHawk
Mario
Mario

Postby GhostHawk » Wed May 21, 2014 12:13 am

Thank you, means a lot Pseudo-dino! :)

Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Megar » Wed May 21, 2014 3:04 am

Looks very accurate. I'm looking forward to seeing if this gets finished because it looks really good so far.
disgusting

ragont
Grinder
Grinder

Postby ragont » Wed May 21, 2014 3:32 am

GhostHawk wrote: I also plan to add a "Safe-Mode" check box that prevents you from filling your level on accident when using the fill tool. Instead, you will only fill the screen with the block if you mess up.

how about just an undo button

or does that have about the same amount of possibility as a starman happening in vb?

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Wed May 21, 2014 4:27 am

If you're making this in .NET why not give it a more modern look? The controls look really outdated. Other than that, it's pretty great. Good luck!

sleepy
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: absolutely nothing

Postby sleepy » Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 am

Looks great.
But referring to your Q&A..

Q&A wrote:Why are you even bothering? These projects always fail anyway.

That's because the people who have attempted to recreate it (ex. NSMBX, SMBX:R) don't know shit about coding.

I'd be glad to help you, but VB is not my coding language :P C and C++ is, sorry.

Goodluck with it, though!
Regards,
sleepy

IRC Quotes
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

<Legend-tony980> GhostHawk, what is a bot?
<GhostBot> a user without a soul

contact info

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Wed May 21, 2014 9:01 am

Wow this looks interesting. I hope this doesn't get canceled like other SMBX versions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Wed May 21, 2014 10:21 am

...safe mode?
what?
Image I've released an episode! Go check it out m8
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

huh
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: Puzzle Merio and Huh

Postby huh » Wed May 21, 2014 12:53 pm

This is something i would like to see,and ye,remaking each thing is gonna take time,good luck with this mann.

One day ill fucking get my ass up and start learning to program again
Huh

GhostHawk
Mario
Mario

Postby GhostHawk » Wed May 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Raster wrote:If you're making this in .NET why not give it a more modern look? The controls look really outdated. Other than that, it's pretty great. Good luck!

The reason it looks outdated is that it's supposed to use XP visual styles because there is a significant performance drop when used, and this is the same theme that SMBX uses.

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:...safe mode?
what?

If you've ever accidentally filled a level in SMBX with a block when you only meant to fill a small area this is what that is for. In SMBX if you left a gap by mistake in a small chunk of land and used the fill tool, you would either have to delete all the extra tiles in the level or open your most recent save and lose some progress. Safe Mode would make it so that tiles can only be filled in the section of the level that is currently on-screen.

Ragont™ wrote:
GhostHawk wrote: I also plan to add a "Safe-Mode" check box that prevents you from filling your level on accident when using the fill tool. Instead, you will only fill the screen with the block if you mess up.

how about just an undo button

or does that have about the same amount of possibility as a starman happening in vb?

I guess I could do that, it's definitely not impossible just impractical. I have been thinking of this but I'm just not sure how I could fit it into the level editor.

Thank you everyone for taking interest! Development will carry on (more so since I'm on break from school) and I'll keep my first post and signature updated with progress as it happens. Thanks.

Murphmario
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Murphmario » Wed May 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Afterwards, when your done, can we have a source code?

GhostHawk
Mario
Mario

Postby GhostHawk » Wed May 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Murphmario wrote:Afterwards, when your done, can we have a source code?

Sure, I don't see why not. Besides it doesn't matter because anyone can get it if they know how to work a decompiler. :p

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 pm

GhostHawk wrote:

Sure, I don't see why not. Besides it doesn't matter because anyone can get it if they know how to work a decompiler. :p

Well, depends. .NET code is easy to reassemble because we have tools like Reflector but the Source Code would be a lot easier to comprehend.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Wed May 21, 2014 4:22 pm

GhostHawk wrote:

If that were true Wouldnt we have the SMBX source code?
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/

First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom

KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

GhostHawk
Mario
Mario

Postby GhostHawk » Wed May 21, 2014 4:27 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:
GhostHawk wrote:

If that were true Wouldnt we have the SMBX source code?

Not quite. SMBX was made with VB6 which can't be decompiled like other languages can since the exe does not contain the source code.

GhostHawk
Mario
Mario

Postby GhostHawk » Wed May 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Finished adding all of the tiles from SMBX today. Here's a quick look at the current design of the Blocks and Tiles window. Now to start the BGOs sometime tomorrow. .-.

NaviGator
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: NaviGator

Postby NaviGator » Wed May 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Do you plan to add some extra blocks made by some other people? Like for example, there are no 32x64 slopes for the lower part of the SMW Grass tiles, you have to use custom graphics. Like, do you plan to add extra parts for those to appears as default?
Oh my god this image made my day XDD

Return to “Video Games”