The Official Guide to Layers and Events in SMBX

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

The Official Guide to Layers and Events in SMBX

Postby HeroLinik » Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 pm

So I've seen a lot of people asking about how to use layers and events and all that jazz, so I decided that it would be a good idea that I make this into one big topic that explains how layers and events work so new users can look this up if they are clueless about using them or if they forget how to use them.

Layers
Spoiler: show
The first part of this guide deals with layers and how to use them.
Layers are usually used to create more dynamic levels that involve things such as moving platforms and hidden blocks. To show the layers that are present in a level, open the View menu, and select Layers (or press Ctrl+L). Doing so will bring up the following box:

Now you may be wondering what this all means, but fear not. It will be explained now.
  • Check boxes - Next to each of your layers, you have the option to tick and untick these boxes. Doing this shows and hides the layer in the level respectively. However, the only way to remove a block is to actually destroy it, as opposed to hiding it. This will be explained later.
    Default - When you're placing all your blocks, BGOs, NPCs and everything else down, they are in this layer. This is the standard layer that is used when making levels.
    Destroyed Blocks - If you hit a ?-Block, the Default layer ?-block will be moved to this layer, which is hidden by default, and in it's place, a new block will be created in the Default layer. This new block is the used ?-Block. Showing the "Destroyed Blocks" layer allows you to refresh all these blocks, or even brick blocks that you smashed earlier. The cheat "istillplaywithlegos" shows the "Destroyed Blocks" layer.
    Spawned NPCs - This is for NPCs that are generated from somewhere, such as a pipe. Useful for hiding all of them at once as the result of an event.
Creating your own layer
You can also create your own layers as well as the ones they've got there. To create your own layer, click the Add button at the bottom. Type a name for the new layer and hit Enter after you're done to add the layer. As you start to place objects, you should find the name of your new layer clinging to your mouse pointer. Anything you place down thereafter will be in this layer. You can't have two layers of the same name in a level.
To switch back to the default layer, right click on the level to get back into selection mode. You can left-click any layer to place blocks on that layer, as opposed to the one you had selected before.

Deleting layers
Select your layer, and click Delete. Take caution with this, because everything that's in your layer that's in your level will be deleted from the level, no questions asked! You can't delete the default ones that are there though.
Events
As you should have guessed, layers and events do indeed work together. You can make events that can make simple messages appear, show and hide layers based on certain conditions, and even make layers move.

To open the events box, open the View menu, and select Events (or press Ctrl+E). This should bring up the following box:

And yes, I am going to explain what the default events mean. They're not completely useless, they actually serve a purpose when they are used.
  • Level - Start - This event takes place when the level starts.
    P-Switch - Start - This event takes place when you stomp the SMW P-Switch or the SMB3 green P-Switch.
    P-Switch - End - This event takes place when the P-Switch duration ends.
Creating, duping, and deleting events
To make your own event, click Add, and type a name for the event. You can't have two events named the same thing.
To duplicate an event, select the one you want, and click Dupe. This makes a clone of the event.
To delete an event, select the one you want, and click Delete. You can't delete the default ones.

Event features
We now come to the main part of our guide, what the features of the Events box actually all do.
  • Message - When the event takes place, the message will be displayed.
    Auto Start - This is self-explanatory - the event happens when the level begins.
    Player Controls - This makes the player move automatically in the direction specified. To prevent the player from moving during an event, click on the Up box.
    Play Sound - When the event happens it plays the sound effect you select.
    End Game - Setting this to "Bowser Defeat" will end an episode and cause the credits to start rolling when the event concerned happens.
    Trigger Event and Delay - You can cause one event to trigger another. Delay will set a time delay from when the last event starts to when the triggered event concerned will start.
Layers - hiding and showing
This is where most of your events will be concerned - with layers. This will involve usually hiding and showing them, but this also concerns moving them around the level to make it more dynamic.
  • Toggle Layers - If a layer is hidden it shows it, and vice versa
    Hide/Show Layers - Does what it says on the tin - hides and shows the layers concerned.
    No Smoke - When a layer hides it makes a poof effect on everything in that layer. To disable it, check this box.
Adding layers to these lists causes them to be toggled, shown or hidden when the event takes place.

Layers - layer movement
This is where things get interesting. You can set layers to move as the result of an event. Setting this up is quite simple. Select the layer you want to move from the drop-down box. Bear in mind that it's not just the blocks that are moving - everything you have in that layer is going to move. This includes the warps! To quickly check which objects are contained in the layer, hide it to make everything in the layer disappear from the level, then reshow it.

Layer movement speeds - This is where you set the speed of movement. A higher number makes the layer move faster.
  • Horizontal - A positive number makes the layer move right, a negative number makes the layer move left.
    Vertical - A positive number makes the layer move down, a negative number makes the layer move up.
    Diagonal - Putting a number in both fields will make it move in both of those directions simultaneously.
Position
This changes the level boundaries and locks the player in a specific part of the level until another event changes it back to how it was before.
  • Don't Change - The default setting.
    Default - After you've changed the boundaries and locked the player in a specific area, an event that causes this will re-expand the level to how it was before.
    Use Current - To use this, change the boundaries to what you want, and then click this to set the boundaries the player will be locked in as the result of an event. After this you can re-expand the level to how it was before.
Autoscroll
Autoscrolling levels work off this principle of setting the boundaries. To set up an autoscrolling level, set the boundaries to the bit that will autoscroll, and then click Use Current in the Position pane to lock the boundaries. Now resize the level back to how it was before. After that, you need to set a speed for the autoscroll - this is set up like layer movement speeds.

PLEASE NOTE THAT AUTOSCROLL ONLY WORKS IN SECTION 1, AND YOU CANNOT MAKE AN EVENT THAT CAUSES AUTOSCROLL AFTER THE LEVEL STARTS, OR TRY TO CHANGE THE DIRECTION OF THE AUTOSCROLL AFTER THE START OF THE LEVEL.

Music
You can even change the music in the section as well during the event.
  • Don't Change - The default music you use.
    Default - After an event changes the music and you want an event to change it back to the default one, use this box.
    Use Current - To use this, click a music track in the list, and click on this to have the event change the music to what's specified.
Background
The principle of changing the background works off the same way you change the music.
  • Don't Change - The default background you use.
    Default - After an event changes the background and you want an event to change it back to the default one, use this box.
    Use Current - To use this, click a background in the list, and click on this to have the event change the background to what's specified.
Activating events
Now we have to actually activate these events. This last part will explain how to do it.

Blocks
Select a block, and click on "Events", and it'll bring up this window:

To use it, simply select your event that you want from the drop-down boxes. The options are as follows:
  • Death - When the block is destroyed or is removed from the level during playing it, it is considered dead. An event can be set to when this happens.
    Hit - Self-explanatory, it's when you hit the block.
    No More Objects in Layer - When you've destroyed every block in the layer your block is in, the event will happen. This will only work if you set every block in that layer to have this.
NPCs
Select an NPC, and click on "Events", and it'll bring up this window:

To use it, simply select your event that you want from the drop-down boxes. The options are as follows:
  • Death - When the NPC is removed from the level by any means, the event happens.
    Talk - When you talk to the NPC the event will happen when the message box closes.
    Activate - When the NPC comes within range of sight, the event happens.
    No More Objects in Layer - When you've killed all the NPCs in the layer, the event happens. This only works if all the NPCs in the layer are set to have this.
    Attach to Layer - This one's pretty complicated. It allows you to make originally non-moving platforms follow the path of an NPC. To use it, put the object you want to move in its own layer, then select an NPC, and attach it to the layer that you want the objects to move in.
The event and layer limit is 99. If you try to place any more the Add button won't work.
Last edited by HeroLinik on Mon May 18, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: The Official Guide to Layers and Events in SMBX

Postby Enjl » Mon May 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Some additions (please correct me if any of them are wrong):
If you hit a ?-Block, the Default-layer ?-block will be moved to the layer "Destroyed Blocks", which is hidden by default, and in it's place, a new block will be created on layer "Default". This new block is the used ?-Block. Showing the "Destroyed Blocks" layer allows you to refresh all these blocks, or even brick blocks. The cheat "istillplaywithlegos" shows the "Destroyed Blocks" layer. Hitting ?-Blocks while playing a large level can cause overflow errors.

Thought I should clarify that since your description of "Destroyed Blocks" is a bit vague.

Both Layer and Event limit are 99.

There can't be two layers or two events with the same name.

You can left-click any layer in the layers menu to place blocks on that layer, as opposed to the one you had selected before.

Destroying a block is the only way of removing it from the level. Hiding blocks won't trigger "Death" events.

No more objects in layer does work if only one block triggers it. However, it will trigger only when the block with this attribute will be destroyed last.

Killing an NPC, having an NPC killed by the environment, and shooting it way offscreen are the only ways to kill enemies. Hiding them will not trigger "Death". Some enemies take longer than others to despawn. Veggies are immortal.

No more objects in layer works for NPCs the same way as for blocks. Read above for details.
Really helpful guide though. I'm sure this will help new players out.
Oh my gosh thanks I've been struggling for AGES!
Last edited by Enjl on Mon May 18, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Mon May 18, 2015 1:24 pm

In my opinion, this thread should be merged with this, considering they're both threads explaining something for newbeginners.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Mon May 18, 2015 11:56 pm

I'll sticky this too. Thanks, castlewars.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

kinetism
Goomba
Goomba
Current Project: Another hard level...

Postby kinetism » Sat May 14, 2016 4:32 pm

Good thing you don't need layers or events for the types of levels I make.
Kaizo: From Super Mario Maker to Super Mario Bros. X
The Hardest Super Mario Bros. X Level???
Teaching Yoshi New Tricks

Try it yourself and download!!!

Evil_zacsolo
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby Evil_zacsolo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:05 am

oof now i know everything :)

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Maybe perhaps a PGE version of the guide?
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

cato
Rex
Rex
Chat Username: cato

Postby cato » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am

Maybe talk about more moving layers.
I mean the SMBX engine only available of velocity changes, but not the acceleration changes.

(PS): I think only a Lunalua code can make a layer accelerate.

Return to “Help and Support”